The Events

Gerard's P.O.V

Time Lapse>>>>>>>>>>

One hour later.

We were all in the waiting room. Kat was being checked over. Mum and Dad had turned up. They'd talked it out with their boss and he'd gave them a week's compassionate leave to be with us. Mum was holding my left hand and Mikey was holding my right. Dad held his hand. Frank, Ray and Bob refused to leave. Jeremy had gone to see how long before we can go see Kat.
I was shaking. I couldn't stop seeing Kat curled up in the corner with that scalpel. She was clearly terrified.
The door opened so I stood up, looking at Jeremy. He smiled. "The doc said she's okay." He said. "The baby's okay too. He managed to make the cut pretty deep. But not quite deep enough. You can go see her now. But I need to question her. But I won't until she's ready."
I gave him a grateful smile and moved my hands free. Then I headed to Kat's room. I opened the door and walked in. Everyone followed behind me. Kat was sat up with her legs crossed, staring at her hands clasped together infront of her. She looked so lost and vulnerable. She clearly hadn't heard us come in. So I plastered a smile on my face and headed towards her.
"Hey, baby." I said, sitting on the bed infront of her. I took her hands in mine and kissed her forehead.
She looked at me. Tears running down her cheeks.
"Don't cry, honey." I said, pulling her into my arms and rubbing her back. "It's okay now. Your safe."
She grabbed my shirt in her hands. "H...he tried to k...kill our baby." She sobbed.
"But he failed, sweetheart." I told her.
She pulled away from me and wiped her face. "That cop that saved me..."
Jeremy walked forward, smiling. "Detective Jeremy McKinnon." He said. "Jeremy."
She smiled sadly. "Thank you."
Jeremy shook his head. "I wouldn't have found you in time." He admitted. "Gavin and Jessie spent every day and every night researching abandoned buildings. Then they'd check em out. THEY found you. I only took him out."
Kat looked around, then at me. "Where are they?" She asked.
I smiled. "Bob took em home when he went to collect Mum and Dad." I told her. "They were exhausted. Ready to collapse. They didn't want you to see them like that. They said they'll see you in the morning."
Kat nodded, then grabbed my hands as she looked back at Jeremy. "You need to question me, right?"
Jeremy nodded. "Only when your ready."
She took in a deep breath, then let it out. "I'm ready now." She said.
"You sure?" He asked, frowning. "I can wait."
Kat shook her head. "No. Now."
"Do you want me to clear the room?" Jeremy asked.
Kat looked around at Bob, Ray, Frank, Mum, Dad and finally Mikey. She looked back at Jeremy. "No. They are part of this. They're family."
I smiled as I adjusted our position so she was sat in my lap. One arm around her waist, the other on her shoulder.
"Okay." Jeremy started, getting a notepad and pen out. "Tell me what happened."
Kat sighed. "I was sat on the garden swing out back." She started. "Just getting a bit of fresh air. I heard a familiar voice say 'That baby should have been mine.'. I looked round to see Lola looking back at me. He removed the Lola costume head off and dropped it. When I realised it was Tim Martins, I screamed. He put something over my nose and mouth and I passed out." She gripped my hand tighter. "When I woke up, I was in a room." She frowned, looking distant. "The walls were pealing and it smelled....musty. I was on a new looking fold up double bed. It was made up in clean, fresh bedding. The bedding was covered in different coloured rose petals. My clothes had changed too. I was wearing a white strapless dress. No tights or shoes." Suddenly she snapped her head round to look at me. Tears in her eyes. "He took the ring and necklace you bought me. They're gone. I don't know where."
I kiss her, briefly. "It's okay, baby." I said. "I'll buy you another ring and necklace."
She shook her head. "It won't be the same."
Jeremy coughed so we both turned to him. "I'll have my colleagues check around for them." He said.
Kat sighed with relief. "Thank you, detective."
"Jeremy."
"Jeremy." Kat repeated.
Jeremy smiled then checked his notes. "So you woke up?"
Kat nodded. "Oh...errr...yeah. I was alone in there. But I could see a working surveillance camera in the corner. Above the door. The door was locked. The windows had bars on them. I couldn't find any way out. So I sat on the bed and thought about Gerard. Wondering if I'd ever see him again. Then I cried as I pictured Mikey having to comfort Gerard...."
"Sush, baby." I said as I pulled her back to my chest and kissed her cheek. "It's okay now. Everything's okay now."
She took a steady breath, then continued. "I fell asleep. When I woke up, Tim was sat on the end of the bed. I sat up, quickly against the wall and hugged my legs. I asked him what he's going to do to me. He said 'Nothing. I'm going to give you everything you could ever want.' I said I want Gerard. He looked angry. Then he said 'Except....HIM. No one is coming to see you and your not leaving here until your completely mine.' I told him that would never happen. He left, slamming the door and locking it. Every so often, he came back. He left me food. I only ate it for the baby. He'd watch me eat. Give me bunches of roses. Bring me gifts. New clothes. Everything he thought I'd want. After three weeks he got impatient. I wouldn't give in. Every day I asked for Gerard. He'd had enough. He snapped. He wrecked the room while I curled up in the corner with my hands over my ears and my eyes closed. Whispering 'I love you, Gerard' over and over." She paused. "He eventually stopped and grabbed me by the elbows. He pulled me to the bed and sat me down. He said 'I'll show you that I can make you forget him'. Then he pulled me into his arms and started kissing my neck. I was too scared to struggle. So I just kept repeating 'I love you, Gerard.' That made him mad. So he slapped me and stormed out. Each time he came back, he tried again. I kept repeating the same words. He slapped me then stormed out. Till today. He came into the room this morning and said 'I've finally got the equipment'. I asked him what he meant but he didn't answer. He just made me change. He forced that gown on me. I panicked. I knew what he was going to do. But I forced myself to keep calm. He gave me two sleeping pills and told me to swallow them. I made it look like I'd put them in my mouth and palmed them. He made me lay on the bed. Then he waited. I slipped the tablets under the pillow and acted like I was getting tired. When he thought I was asleep, he crept onto the bed. I felt his hand going up my skirt. He..." She stopped as a sob escaped. She looked at me. Tears running down her face.
I cupped her cheeks. "It's okay, baby." I said as I kissed her nose. "You can do this."
She rested her cheek on my chest, but looked at Jeremy. "H...he put his hand in my....in my underwear and s...slipped a f...finger in me. I had to imagine I was home with Gerard. I knew he'd make sure I was asleep if he knew I was awake. I wouldn't be able to stop him hurting our baby if I was asleep." She grabbed my hand and rested it on her stomach. "I obviously convinced him. Because he stopped a few minutes later and removed his hand saying 'After that thing is gone, you will be mine. You'll forget about...him. He won't want you without his baby. When you've recovered from the surgery, I'm gonna fuck your brains out.'."
I started to shake with rage. That bastard. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. Kat moved so I opened my eyes. She was knelt infront of me, her arms around my neck. Concern in her eyes. I leaned my forehead against hers.
"I beat him, Gerard." She told me. "He thought I was asleep so he carried me to a morgue slab and cut into me. I hit him with a tray by the slab. I stopped him taking our baby away. I beat him."
I calmed down and put my arms around her. "You did, baby." I told her. "You saved our baby."