Chapter Five: Betrayed

"Arise, arise, court is now in session!" the bailiff announced, "Judge E. A. Monahan presiding," he declared as an older man took his seat in the Judge chair.

"Are any of you represented by counsel?" the Judge barked out to the Newsies, who exchanged confused looks, "no?" he held back a smirk, "good, good, that'll move things along considerably," he nodded.

"That's not fair!" Jane objected.

"They can't just sentence them without being able to defend themselves," Lonnie agreed, angrily.

"Your honor, I object," Spot piped up.

"On what grounds?" he glared.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor," Spot smirked.  The Newsies burst into laughter

Jay snorted slightly amused.

"I fine each of you five dollars or two weeks confinement in the house of refuge," he announced with a bang of his gavel.

"He can't just sentence them without a case!" Ben objected with a glare.

"Whoa, whoa, hey," Race objected as the Newsies muttered in confusion, "Hey, we ain't got five bucks," he protested, "we don't even got five cents," Race added, "Hey, your honor, how 'bout I roll you for it?" he suggested hopefully, "double or nothing?" he joked weakly to the Newsies slight amusement.

The theater let out a few weak laughs.

"Alright, move along, move along," the Judge dismissed.

"Your honor," Denton spoke up as he entered the courtroom, David and Les at his heels "I'll pay the fines," he reassured, "all of them," he added.

"Thank goodness for Denton!" Belle breathed out, relieved.

"Hey fellas, you alright?" David checked them over hurriedly, "Where's Jack?" he questioned in confused panic.

"Look, we gotta meet at the restaurant," Denton chimed up, urgently, "everybody, we have to talk," he added.

"Pay the clerk, move it along!" the Judge hurried.  Soon Jack was escorted into the room by a policeman in cuffs, black eye on his face.

"I'll kill them!" Adam boomed, furious, his wife too angry to reprimand him.

"Hey, fellas," Jack greeted with a fake smirk.

"Hey Cowboy, nice shiner!" Race shot back weakly.  The Judge banged his gavel, "Pay the clerk, move it along," he repeated sternly.  The Newsies were ushered from the room as Denton went to pay the clerk.

"Hey Denton, I guess we made all the papes this time," he joked, "so how'd my picture look?" he questioned, teasingly.

"None of the papers covered the Rally," he answered somberly, "not even the Sun," he added regretfully to Jack's horror.

"Why?" Snow White objected, confused "that was pretty big news!"

"Case of Jack Kelly," the Bailiff announced, "inciting to riot, assault, resisting arrest," he listed off.

"Judge Monahan," Snyder piped up, "I'll speak for this young man," he simpered.

"You two know each other," Jack realized, "ain't that nice?" he scoffed, eyes bright with barely concealed terror and dread as he eyed them.

"He's terrified," Carlos frowned, in confused sympathy.

"Why is that surprising? He might go back to jail!" Evie shot back.