Chapter 18- Reorganization

Arquebus: A tad bit strange that there hasn't been an attack since yesterday huh?

Morgan: Uhum, you'd expect atleast one attack. The buggers must be recuperating or preparing something big.

Arquebus sighs at Morgan who is sitting in his wheelchair overlooking the west field.

Arquebus: I truly believe in the power these... guns Director gave us but... you think they're gonna be any good against the Goliath?

Morgan: I don't know to be honest, I've only heard tales of them rampaging through defenses as if they were paper. But nothing too technical.

Morgan: And so far, there have been no confirmed weak points on it.

Arquebus: How about the incident at Maxim City sir?

Morgan: (There he goes again with "sir".)

Morgan: The fire weapon? I doubt it's true because if it only took fire to almost defeat a Goliath then the Grand Monument institute never would've fell. I've heard from Shizuka that fire magic is not particularly hard to pull off and the wizards there would've been able to send those Stags back into the hell they came from.

Arquebus: I guess so.

Morgan: But I definitely understand the sense of complacency you have on our only reasonable lead on what could save us. Truth be told, I do too.

Arquebus: ..?

Rustling in the forest catches Arquebus's gaze. The canopy shakes in a line that gets progressively closer to the clearing. He clutches his rifle and Morgan does the same.

Morgan: Fire on my command...

For a while, the rustling becomes more subtle as it grows near. Then all of a sudden a tree is shook by something big.

Arquebus ..?!

From the bush emerges a large hulking behemoth, almost the height of the trees. But instead of opening fire, Arquebus and Morgan holds off.

Arquebus: Oh, it's just Sentinel.

A red glowing metallic monoeye greets the two as Sentinel walks towards the gate, a few leaves and twigs falling off him as his steps shake them off.

Morgan: Gatekeep! Please lower the bridge for our golem friend.

Gatekeeper: Yes Captain!

The wooden gate lowers and drops onto the ground, covering the watered moat and allowing the behemoth Sentinel to enter the city. Guards and soldiers form a perimeter around him as Arquebus hurries down, leaving Morgan alone on the parapet, unable to go down the stairs in his rickety wheelchair.

Arquebus: Ah, Sentinel welcome back.

Sentinel: Hello Sir Arquebus, thank you for lowering the gates for me.

Arquebus talks to the metal behemoth who is more than twice his size. A few leaves remain near his monoeye as he speaks in a low robotic and masculine voice.

Arquebus: Of course we would, you're technically one of us. What would you do? Scale the wall? Haha

Arquebus chuckles a little at his joke.

Sentinel: ...

However Sentinel doesn't seem to be going along.

Arquebus: oh... Nevermind then. Where's Director and how did your search go?

Sentinel: We discovered a large amount of activity further west and Director went to investigate. I was told to hold my position due to my large presence and eventually Director told me to return to Pershing city immediately.