Chapter 5

Dec

Hey Jenna, its Dec, hope you are okay! Was really lovely seeing you again the last night xx

This was how the messages had started. Jenna received a message from Dec the morning after, she had thought about messaging him straight away as soon as she left but held on to some dignity she had! She didn't want to seem desperate, although she was desperate to see him again.

They messaged back and forth most of the morning about their family lives, likes and dislikes and just getting to know one another, then he said he had to go to work and they picked back up their messages in the evening.

Jenna

So what is it you do for work then? Xx

Dec

I'm a footballer, I play for West Ham xx

Jenna pauses while looking at her phone, was this some kind of joke? She was sure if he was a famous there would have been no way he would have stopped to speak to her! Jenna isn't the most up to date on football knowledge, growing up with an older sister who is in fashion, a Dad whose sport of choice was golf which was so boring and a mum whose football expertise went as far as 'that's the man who married posh spice'. She knew she had to get clued up at some point with the Euro's this summer but she would find out what she needed to know about football from her gossip magazines.

Jenna opens up her laptop and loads up Goggle. She types into the search engine 'Declan – West Ham' and clicks search.

And there he is, Declan Rice, West Ham Captain, England Star. Those sea-blue eyes, that floppy mop of deep brown hair and that face, that gorgeous face. Fuck, it is him..

Jenna paused before typing back to Dec, she didn't just want to be some footballers conquest, at the same time she didn't want to date him more now he was a footballer and didn't want it to come across that way. She needed to play this cool, remember why she liked him in the first place and try and focus on this in the future, if there is a future. She needed to be honest with him.

Jenna

I can only apologise but I just literally had to google you! I had no idea, I'm not the most clued up on football, xx

Jenna pressed send and then waited and waited and waited, maybe she had screwed things up.

-------------------------------------------

Dec looked at the message from Jenna and thought he appreciated her honesty. It had been a while since he had spoken to someone who wanted to get to know him. This felt a bit different, and he knew he had to be honest with her, if there was a future.

Dec

Ha, that's fine! I didn't really know how to say it as it doesn't really define me, yeah I may be a 'footballer' but I have so much more to me than that... I have liked that every time I have spoken to you whether in person or on message we just talk about me and you as us, rather than my 'celeb' status coming into it, xx

Dec pressed send and waited, he went to put his phone down anxious of what Jenna may say back when a message popped up.

Jenna

Oh so you think you are a celeb then 😉Unless you are a Kardashian then you are an ordinary person to me, just like me... and I quite like that ordinary person that you are 😊 xx

Dec let out a little laugh, and then smiled. This could be something special.

Dec

Okay then, how about us ordinary people go out for some ordinary dinner somewhere Monday night? Xx

Jenna

Sounds tediously ordinary... Just my thing, I'd love to get dinner with you xx

Dec looked at his phone and the smile was now permanently on his face and he knew this was something special.