Make It Hurt

"So, tell me about prison." Hawks set down his glass. I deeply sighed before gaping my mouth open and thinking of what to say.

"We could talk about anything, but you want to talk about my experience in prison?" "Just curious, you know? Have you heard about your mother?" he asked.

"Yes, and I would rather not talk about that, too." I wiped my eyebrows. "Right, of course. I don't do casual dinners and conversations." "I can tell." I laughed at him.

"You and Dabi. Is that still a thing?" he lifts his glass again. "No, but we're just around each other for Suze." I shrugged. "Would you want anymore after Suze?" Hawks questioned.

"I wasn't expecting Suze, so no I don't want anymore. " I awkwardly said. "I don't know how people do it. Several kids sounds like a nightmare."

He smiled and laughed to himself, clearly thinking of something. "What's on your mind?" I took a sip from my glass.

"I used to want kids. Well, just one. A tiny version of me. Treat the little thing better than I was. Give it a good life." he looked up at the ceiling and then down at me. "So why is it still "used to"?" I asked him.

"Hm? Oh, because I don't want those things anymore. Thinking of you and Asuze just reminded me of that. You have what I wanted."

"Aw... Not really. He's more like Dabi's twin." "Sure, he LOOKS more like Dabi, but he's more like you. When I saw you two together, something about you both was just so similar. That's what I wanted."

"I would say "you'll get that one day" but you don't want kids, soo..." I shrugged. Hawks also shrugged, "Who knows, things happen. If I end up having one, hopefully, it's with the right person."

"You'll find them." I took a sip. A smile slightly spread on his face then quickly disappeared after I said that. He reached his hand out to me on the table. I placed my hand in his.

Hawks focused as he rubbed my knuckles with his thumb, "I think I'm ready to leave. You?" he said now with his eyes on me.

"Yeah. Lemme find the waiter-" "Mm, no need." I looked at him and saw him already writing on a napkin. When he finished, he placed 200 dollars in the napkin.

"200? Did I eat that much?" I asked in shock. "Look, it'd be your first time in a year eating outside food. Plus the food here is really expensive." Hawks got up and held his hand out for me.

I held his hand and got up too. "Way too bland to be this expensive, honestly." I complained.

Hawks laughed, "The more expensive it is, the less flavorful it'll be." "Right?!" We walked out laughing and talking trash about the restaurant.
•••

We went to my house. It wasn't on sale and my car was there. It looked boring compared to the other houses. New colors, new neighbors, new...I don't know.

I slowly stepped inside this cold, dark home. I flipped the switch, and to my surprise, the lights came on. I turned to ask Hawks, "How is there still power?" He looked hesitant to answer but did anyways, "Your friend, Reiss, has been paying for everything since you were put away."

I don't know if she thought this would make things right between us, but I appreciate it. It is the LEAST she could do for getting troops to raid this very home and assault me in it.

All I said in response is "Hm." I continued walking throughout the house and looking at everything. "You okay being here?" Hawks asked me.

"No. It feels weird, but I just need to give it some time." I said to him as I kept walking around the house. "I can stay with you if you want." he offered.