[ Chapter IX: Comfort ]

Third POV

Third POV

When the next day came, he woke with puffy eyes, swollen from all the silent crying he did last night as he passed out on his bed. Atanas felt drained, emotionally exhausted which he was not aware exists in the first place.

His body ached all over the place, but as always he payed no mind to it. The boy didn't wait for Cecilia to make her appearance and ask if he needed any help in getting dressed. He dressed himself, knowing that none of the maids really liked him anyways.

A crown prince not favored by the emperor was not worth serving, even despite his title and rank. He was sure they would prefer the lovable and favored princess over him.

Lowering his gaze, he tried to brush his mind off what he saw yesterday. He already thought about that all last night- he would rather not do it today too.

Atanas opened the door to his room, and waiting right outside like how he would do before, was Felix. "Prince Atanas, good morn...ing..." He trailed off as he got a good look at the 11 year old.

"My Prince... did you have trouble adjusting to your room last night...?" Felix was at a lost of words. He's never seen the boy so disheveled and fragile looking.

Jeweled eyes glanced up at the knight before ignoring the male, and walked without responding to him. Felix expressed his worry, "Please allow me to make it up to your highness for not assisting you as I promised yesterday." He followed after the boy.

Claude had him tend to Princess Athanasia with the help of Lily in case anything would go wrong after she woke up from her coma. He never got the chance to visit Atanas like he wanted. Though the princess encouraged him to check on Atanas and bring her along so she could also talk to him—the guard knew how Claude would react.

"Shouldn't you be with the princess?" Came the spiteful reply of the young boy. Felix furrowed his brows, discouraged as he heard the tone in his voice, but understood the hostility.

"The princess is preparing with Lady Lily, I have been allowed to aid you." He placed a hand over his heart, hoping his sincerity would reach the prince.

Atanas kept his blank expression, looking like a walking puppet with the tired look in his eyes, his eyelids swollen from all the rubbing and crying. "Preparing...?" He questioned.

Felix smiled gently, "There will be a celebration held for the Prince's welcome back to the Empire."

That shocked the boy. His father holding a celebration for him...? He thought he would keep the war a secret. He was surprised at the sudden news.