The Stockings Were Hung

When Arthur lifted the feller from the ground, a part of him had expected to find Marston's chewed up face. The young man straightened his coat and the dark hair fooled him a moment until the vision faded from a scarred cheek to a youthful, beardless face. Ben Dorsch, whose hair wasn't long and stringy, but short, thick on the top with the hint of curls.

While Charlotte and Ben decided to walk side by side the remaining short distance up to the house, Arthur mounted the gray workhorse Vee. Karen had stayed on Jane, holding the reins and quiet for once as she observed the siblings with open curiosity. Arthur kept his eyes peeled to the trees, his rifle in hand and ready as he didn't trust the last wolf to have gone far. Somehow, Charlotte's brother had made it out of his scare with only tears to his coat, but Arthur didn't want to risk a second encounter.

"Benji, it's wonderful to see you," exclaimed Charlotte. "But I thought you were on holiday with friends at the university?"

"They ended up canceling."

"And you didn't get on the boat with your parents?" Arthur asked, half-mocking 'cause he personally wouldn't set foot on a boat ever again.

Charlotte answered with a wave of her hand. "Benji gets terribly sick on the water." She patted his hand in a soothing gesture. "I certainly don't blame you."

Benji nodded, but his eyes flicked downward. The boy cleared his throat, seeming a little too eager to change the subject. "Where have you two been? I hadn't expected the house to be empty."

"Shopping," Charlotte said simply. "For some things to spruce up the cabin for Christmas."

"So late?" Ben teased. "That's not like you."

"Well, we hadn't initially anticipated being home." Charlotte huffed out a slightly agitated breath. "I only received Mama's letter a few days ago."

The two continued their conversation, catching up on their lives and discussing family members Arthur hadn't heard mention of yet. Meanwhile, he led Karen and the horses to the stable in back of the house.

It weren't much of a stable yet, truth be told. Before the snow had started, when the air had been cool, but not yet biting on the lungs, he and Charlotte had built out the roof some, to give better cover for the horses, whether that be rain or snow. Once the weather calmed again, Arthur hoped to get the supplies to expand on it further, to provide a sturdier shelter with more space.

As he and Karen rejoined the other two on the porch, Charlotte was telling Ben, "You're welcome to stay of course, but it'll be tight quarters, just to warn you."

"I hadn't realized you would have company." Ben glanced at Karen in some confusion. "Whoever she is."

Charlotte saw the look and covered her mouth. "How terribly rude of me. Karen, this is my incorrigible brother Benjamin..."

Formality straightened Ben's spine as he placed his hands behind his back and nodded. "A pleasure to meet you, Miss...?"

"Jones," Karen supplied, crossing her arms and studying him with open distrust.

At her reaction, Arthur all of a sudden recalled Karen's dislike of those in high society. Not that he was any kind of an admirer of the rich either. But if she gave Ben half a chance, like he had, she'd find the boy wasn't half as bad as his brother.

"I apologize for the intrusion," Ben addressed Karen as much as Charlotte. "I suppose, I could get a room in town."

"Or I could." Karen shrugged. "I ain't no relation."

"No. We invited you," Charlotte protested, looking to Arthur for help.

"Alright, settle down." Arthur stepped in. "We'll get another space set up. You'll both be able to stay."