Through Kiko's Eyes (A Special Chapter)

I've known them both for a long time.

We started out as colleagues under the same political party then became good friends along the way. So kung may isa mang tao na napanood kung paano sila umabot sa kung nasaan sila ngayon, love-wise not career-wise, ako 'yun.

Leni and Risa had a lot of things in common. Naturally, they would bond over those things. Lalo na't bago si Leni sa amin, sa mundong ginagalawan namin.

We witnessed how Leni struggled yet remain to stand her ground in spite of everything else. Everyone from the party admired her — especially Risa. During the nights we spent drinking San Mig Light to unwind after a long day of campaigning, Risa looked at Leni from afar and she'd tell me, "I admire her. She's a strong person."

"She is." I reply.

In whispers during her drunken moments, you'd hear a mix of singing, stories about her children, and the rest would be about Leni.

"Leni's beautiful 'no?"

"She's good with my kids. Sinta loves her."

"She deserves all the good things in this world."

And she does this so often that it makes you start to wonder, could there be something else? Perhaps, something more?

But she never told me if my suspicions were correct. I don't think she realized that just yet. The other woman, on the other hand, she fell. And she fell hard.

Leni's eyes are more expressive than she thinks. She looks at Risa like she's a masterpiece — something so beautiful, but also something she's afraid to move closer to in fear that she might ruin it.

Nakikita ko kung pa'no niya tignan si Risa. Her eyes would suddenly be filled with silent gratitude, affection, and yearning.

In the middle of backstage commotions, Leni would approach me and she'd ask, "Nakita mo si Risa?"

"Kanina mo pa siya hinahanap." I'd point out.

"Palagi ko naman siyang hinahanap."

Often before and after rallies, I'd see them nestled in a corner talking to each other like there's no one else around. Sometimes I'd ask Risa what they talk about and she'd reply, "Kinakabahan daw siya eh."

But there were also times na ang sagot niya ay, "Kahit ano. Talking to Leni makes me feel better. Like I'm ready to conquer the world again."

I've seen Risa squeeze Leni's hand and put her hand on the other's back as a way to reassure and comfort her. Likewise, I see Leni caress Risa's hair and hug her from the side whenever she had bad days.

"Sen. Risa, kanino galing 'yang pink leatherband mo? It looks nice."

"I know, right? Leni gave it to me!"

She hasn't taken it off since.

Surrounded by a sea of people, both allies and enemies alike, Leni and Risa became each other's solace. Like Meredith Grey and Christina Yang, they were each other's person.

But the difference was as clear as day. Meredith Grey and Christina Yang may have been each other's persons but they weren't lovers. Leni and Risa could be. Keyword: could.

I saw them sneak out during the dinner on the last day of campaign. Tatawagan ko na sana si Leni para tanungin kung anong kalokohan binabalak nila pero I decided not to bother them. Nakita ko sila sa 7/11 and it was like seeing something straight out of a movie.

Risa was moving animatedly as she was telling a story and Leni sat across her looking like she was having the time of her life listening to the other woman rant like that. And then Risa brought out a packet of Chocnut from the bag and the realization was so obvious in Leni's face I could see it kahit pa ang layo ko sa kanila.