Conversations with Mama: Jillian

"Ma, what made you realize na you loved Tita Ris?"

I watched as my mother perused her paperwork. Kakauwi lang namin after running a few errands and nagpapahinga kami ngayon. To Mama, rest means reading papers so here we are.

"Bakit mo naman natanong 'yan?" She asked, peering over her glasses.

"Wala lang. I'm just curious. You rarely tell us anything about you and Tita's relationship."

"Lowkey lang kami." She laughed and I stared at her, mouth agape. Someone stop my mom, she's using Gen Z terms now.

"Saan mo naman natutunan 'yang term na 'yan?"

"Kay Bryce. Sinabi niya 'yun no'ng nakaraan eh."

"Kung ano-ano na nalalaman mo," I laughed and shook my head. "So ano nga, Ma?"

"Hmm, maraming bagay pero kung isa lang siguro 'yung Chocnuts na binigay niya sa'kin."

"Chocnut?"

"Oo. Binigyan niya ako no'n isang beses. Hindi ko inasahan, kaya ayun."

"Hay nako, Ma. Only Chocnuts can make you like that pala."

"Like what?"

"Like it's your first time falling in love."

She blushed and laughed. Mama's not one to talk about her relationships a lot. Kapag may tanong ka, saka lang siya nag-oopen. But whenever she talks about Tita Ris, her smile widens and her eyes sparkle.

"Napaisip nga ako isang beses, what if ibang pagkain 'yun? Ma-iinlove pa kaya ako sa kanya?" She joked.

"Kahit naman iba or wala siyang ibigay na gano'n sayo, Ma, parang maiinlove at maiinlove ka pa rin po sa kanya."

--------------

"How long have you been in love with Tita?"

"Jill, ang random mo." She pointed out while we ate breakfast. Dalawa lang kami ni Mama dito because my sisters were at work.

"Dali na, minsan lang tayo mag-kwentuhan nang ganito. Would you deny your favorite daughter the chance to bond with you?"

Mama could never resist my charm. Iba talaga kapag favorite ka niya. She sighed then laughed, reaching over to pinch my cheek. "Oo na, ito na."

She hummed and stared at the ceiling like she was counting in her head. "Exactly 6 years, 1 month, and 12 days today."

"Ay, naks. Exact na exact ha. That was around what, 2022 campaign period?"

"The last day of the campaign. Meeting De Avance."

"How did it feel?"

"It felt like things finally made sense. Parang lahat ng napagdaanan namin at nangyari in the past was coming together to that point."

"You mean it felt familiar?"

"It felt like coming home."

--------------

"What's your favorite thing about Tita Ris?"

"Huh?"

"Come on, Ma. Chikahin mo na ako. I'm bored," I told her as I laid on her bed, letting my short hair fall over the edge.

"Jillian, kung wala kang magawa, maghanap ka ng magagawa do'n," she scolded. Hay, always the tiger mom.

"I just finished being productive, Mama. Please na?" I looked at her with pleading eyes.