Chapter 3 - Character Growth

In the previous chapter, I mentioned the lessons the main character must learn for them to succeed or survive. These lessons are best represented as Flaws, Secrets and Problems. The main character starts off as flawed and must overcome the triggers and beliefs that hold him or her back from becoming the Hero of the story. Some of the issues the main character must overcome are: External Problems, Internal Problems, Flaws, Secrets, and a Tragic Flaw. These various issues may not all be present but the ones that need addressing will continue to trigger reactions and choices that cause problems until they are overcome. Each time there is a surprise or crisis it is a good time to trigger a Flaw. It is the story finale where the Hero has resolved the issues and flaws, and any secret or false belief is out in the open.

There are many literary concepts for developing the flaws of a character, I have chosen the ones that cover a spectrum of issues. One major problem is that the main character does not view themselves as the Hero. We need to guide the main character and the reader through the process of accepting the role of Hero. I have chosen to use the Stages of Grief/Change to describe what the main character might be experiencing as change or loss is forced upon them. The common Stages of Grief I have chosen to incorporate are: Shock, Denial, Isolation, Fear, Bargaining, Loneliness, Discouraged, Testing, Acceptance, and Declaration. The character may go through these stages as many as four times as the story progresses. Remember, the final mastery of the problems and flaws comes at the end of the story, try not to fix the Hero too soon.

The first Crisis is the Call to Adventure that the main character does not feel ready for. This Catalyst is followed by Refusal and Debate as the character moves through the Stages of Change until Accepting the Call. The second Crisis is when the Antagonist identifies the main character as the Hero and publicly calls them out causing the main character to move through the Stages of Change until accepting the role of Hero. The third Crisis is when the Hero seems to lose everything and must navigate the Stages of Grief until the previously external Theme becomes internal and the Hero accepts the truth and knows what needs to be done. The final Crisis is where self-sacrifice and resolution should occur as the main character moves through the Stages of Change until final change is achieved or mastered.

By the end of the Story the Hero should have resolved their Tragic Flaw and be able to operate within the New Normal World. Keep in mind that it takes accomplishing the A-Story and B-Story Themes to effect true change.

You may choose to have some unresolved Flaws, Secrets, or Problems that remain unresolved to explore further in subsequent Stories. The Hero is not perfect, they have grown.