Chapter 8 - Transitions and Crossings

When watching a movie, you will see short clips of the main character travelling to a new location, this is a great example of a Transition, Crossing, or Shift. A Transition, Crossing or Shift, helps keep the viewer or reader informed that a change of location is coming and provides a needed break from the action. I use a variety of terms to describe a Transition, Crossing or Shift to help you decide how much time to devote to the event. For example, I use the term Minor Transition to indicate a minor change in location such as going to a different room. I use the term Transition to indicate a change in location but more importantly the change from External to Internal within a Scene Segment. I use the term Minor Crossing to represent the end of a Scene and a start of another which is usually accompanied by a location change. I use the term Crossing to mark the end of a Sequence of Scenes and the location change to the next Sequence. The final Crossing is labelled an Act Crossing or Mid-Point Crossing in which we travel between Acts and likely have significant travel since the character is metaphorically stepping from one world into another.

 The final Crossing is labelled an Act Crossing or Mid-Point Crossing in which we travel between Acts and likely have significant travel since the character is metaphorically stepping from one world into another

You will find great ways to utilize Transitions and Crossings to move the story forward and avoid spending too much time in a Scene, Sequence or Act. The Act Crossings and Mid-Point Crossing are also called Threshold Crossings in which the character is moving between worlds. You can have the character descend into as many lower worlds as you need, just keep in mind there are many aspects to a Threshold Crossing as you will see in this Workbook. Departing the old world, Crossing the Threshold, Approaching the new world and Arriving in the new world are just some ideas.