Chapter 23: Admirable, I Suppose

Admirable, I Suppose

"Welcome, Harry. Oh, careful," Madeline Brocklehurst tittered as Harry stumbled out of the Floo. Harry smiled gratefully at Seth Fawley who had caught his arm before he fell.

Harry felt his cheeks heat up. "Thanks. Sorry, Floo has never been my strong point."

"It's nice to hear that you aren't as perfect as you appear," Tiberius chuckled.

"Oh, I'm hardly perfect," Harry protested, brushing the remaining soot from his robes. They weren't his finest but they were still brand new and he didn't like ruining them so soon. "Are we waiting for anyone else?"

"Just Amelia, but she is usually late. Being the Head of a Department and married to her work as she is, she struggles to make it to other things on time," Evangeline MacDougal tutted. Harry glanced over, the regal woman sat upright on one of the couches, a cup of tea in her palm.

"Come sit, sit," Ogden ushered him to take a seat and thrust a glass of auburn liquid at him. "Sit and drink." He took a hesitant sniff and felt his eyes water. "Come on lad, time to be a man. Take a drink."

Already cursing himself, Harry did so and immediately began coughing. Oh Merlin it burned! It was like pure fire filling his throat. Tiberius and Seth cackled while Evangeline sniffed in distaste.

"Oh, children, both of you, honestly. Here, Harry, drink this," Madeline said, handing him some water. Harry took a gulp and coughed a few more times. "He's only sixteen," she scolded.

"Sorry, lad. Couldn't help myself. I'll take that," Tiberius said, taking the tumbler and replacing it with another one of a light amber color. "It's the strongest stuff I have, I don't even sell it. You drink that, it's better for those first setting out."

Completely suspicious now, Harry eyed Tiberius who merely grinned at him. Determined to save face, he was their Faction leader after all and his Gryffindor spirit flared at the unspoken challenge, he took another sip. It burned still but not as strong and it soon faded into a smooth smoky aftertaste.

"Better, eh?" Tiberius grinned.

"Much better," Harry agreed and took another sip. It still wasn't a favorite but he could tolerate it.

"Thought so. Now, your education begins now while we wait for Amelia. With a fine Firewhiskey like this, never gulp it. Always sip it. It's meant to be savored and enjoyed not rushed through, like most good things in life, eh?" Tiberius winked. "If you're ever in talks with people and they offer you a tumbler, always take it but always take the second glass they pour. It's a sign of good faith that the host takes the first pour, it used to signify their trust in the product and show that the liquid wasn't poisoned."

Harry blinked and thought that over. He supposed that made sense and he nodded before taking another sip. It was starting to grow on him, the warmth hitting his stomach. It reminded him of the fires in the library at Slytherin Manor at night when he and Marvolo would sit beside it and talk. It created a similar warm feeling.

"If you're in negotiations with multiple people the second glass is always offered to the most prominent person, in most cases this will probably be you. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who would outrank you. And then each following glass will go in order of who has the host's favor. It's a way to subtly play favorites and maybe cause some tension. Now, you can tell a lot about the person by what drink they offer you for political talk. Most will offer you a brandy or dessert liqueur. Men like Malfoy will do this. It's posh and refined. If they do this then you can know that they care a lot about their appearance and how people perceive them. You can use that to your favor in negotiations, play to their egos. If wine is offered, well then they are grasping at straws and playing at being elite. No one drinks wine for negotiations unless it's over dinner. You hear?"