Chapter 34: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

"Severus."

"Potter."

Harry smirked a little as he observed the Potions' Master. Hogwarts had just let out for Christmas Break and Harry had requested the dour spy to meet with him once he was available. Whether through fear of Marvolo, desire to get the meeting with Harry himself done and over with, or actually having some free time, Severus had elected to show up that very afternoon. Glancing at his watch, Harry determined that the Hogwarts' Express probably would have arrived an hour ago.

Admittedly, Harry had seriously considered arriving at Platform 9¾ just for the fun of it; just to see the reactions that his presence would create but Marvolo had strongly argued against it, and told him not to be an idiotic Gryffindor. Bored, Harry had almost gone along with the idea anyway but then Marvolo had brought up how he could be putting his friends and allies at risk by showing up and Harry finally relented. He would be seeing Neville tomorrow and his friends the day after Christmas anyway.

"Thank you for meeting with me so quickly." Merlin, Harry felt so awkward sitting across from his former professor. He and Snape might have reached a truce of sorts, but they were hardly friendly . Still, Harry hoped that being polite would help get the man on his side with less resistance. Snape sneered, but the intensity of the look was lost because his dark eyes kept drifting towards the Christmas decorations near the fireplace.

Harry really didn't like having the meeting in the library. He didn't like others seeing his and Marvolo's place or their decorations, but he hadn't had many other choices. He couldn't use Marvolo's office, because he actually did have work to do. Harry didn't want to use the Gathering Room because it was such a large space for a quick meeting of just the two of them. Harry didn't think the side room off the Gathering Room was accessible to everyone except him and Marvolo. And Harry certainly wasn't going to invite Snape into his bedroom, plus Harry wasn't positive that the wards surrounding Marvolo's private wing would allow anyone else either. So the library was the only option since it was too cold outside to meet on the patio and Harry didn't have an office of his own. Maybe he should ask Marvolo about that... No , Harry immediately dismissed the thought. He preferred working in the library or just sharing Marvolo's office.

"Yes, so don't waste the haste I spent to arrive."

"Relax, I'm not calling you here out of spite or malice. I just wanted to talk to you, see how the school is. I thought we could work on building up our working relationship, given the change of circumstances we've experienced in the past few months. We didn't really get a chance to address things in the summer."

Snape eyed him critically. "Why? I don't desire to be considered your friend and you shall never be mine. Why the farce of small talk. I have potions I could be brewing."

Harry ran a hand over his face, already rethinking his idea of making amends. "Well, if this went as I hoped, there wouldn't be a farce. And I'm not looking for friendship, I'm hoping for understanding, maybe? You told me where your allegiance lies back in August, and you already know that everything you tell me is in complete confidence because Voldemort can't use Legilimency on me. So I'm literally the only person you can probably safely talk to, I'm giving you the chance to utilize that."

"I don't need a shoulder to cry on, Potter."

"Oh trust me, I would never accuse you of being teary-eyed or faint of heart," Harry drawled with a roll of his eyes. "Look, forget it. It's an offer that's on the table, you're a spy and you can't trust many people, I'm offering myself as someone for you to trust who won't use what you say to manipulate you. But anyway, let's just move on. Dumbledore, what're his plans?"