Chapter 37: Oh, Sugarbear

Oh, Sugarbear

"Harry," Neville greeted him with a warm hug after being cleaned of the chimney soot by Dobby and Kreacher who stood like sentinels on either side of the fireplace, it wasn't necessarily needed since both Neville and Augusta still held their wands — though both wands would be left in the sitting room before proceeding to the Ritual Room — the two elves had insisted in assisting, saying how it was proper this way. Harry had just left them to it, not feeling like arguing. "Happy New Year."

"Neville, Happy New Year," Harry replied with a weak smile. "Augusta, I hope you're well." Harry reached out to shake her hand as she entered the sitting room of Peverell Manor from the Floo. He hoped she didn't notice how clammy his hands were and he tried to subtly wipe them on the knee-length white shirt he wore after he dropped their hands. All three of them wore a long pure white shirt and nothing else.

"Quite well," Augusta said primely. She didn't bother looking around the sitting room since she had been in it a few times before during the school legislation meetings. Neville, however, was unabashedly looking around the tastefully decorated room.

To Harry, the royal blues and creams paired against the dark walnut furniture were just as comforting as they had been the first time Harry entered the room all those months ago. The rug was still soft and plush beneath his bare feet. The curtains were shut this time though, instead of open to let the light in and showcase the gardens. Given the lateness of the hour, Harry had chosen to shut off the wintery landscape and keep the warmth of the room enclosed. The room looked more lived-in than it had previously. There were papers and books pertaining to writing the legislation for his school left out on tabletops from the previous meeting held just before Christmastime.

"Okay, well, this way," Harry said, leading them out of the sitting room and down the hall towards the Ritual Room that Harry had set up earlier that day. Slowly but surely the house-elves were cleaning up the abandoned manor, whenever they had spare time. Currently, it seemed just the first floor — which held the Ritual Room, the kitchen, the formal and informal dining rooms, the two parlors, the library, and a ballroom — was accessible. The rest of the floors, which held all of the bedrooms and studies, were still covered in dust.

"Are you ready for school, Nev?" Harry asked, in an attempt to steady his nerves. New Years Day had been yesterday and the Hogwarts Express left in two days.

"Yeah, I suppose so. It's still weird without you being there, Harry."

Harry offered a weak smile over his shoulder at the statement before stopping before the door to the Ritual Room. This one was a dark oak compared to the white oak door in Slytherin Manor. Harry turned to face Neville and Augusta, his back pressed against the door — the wood smooth through the thin linen of the shirt he wore — and his hand resting on the doorknob.

Harry's stomach had been in knots all day, and not just because of hunger. Technically, Harry didn't need to fast before contacting the dead, especially not for other people, but given how uncertain he was about tonight...well, he was taking every precaution he could, which included bathing in pomegranate scented everything, and fasting throughout the day. Honestly, Harry wasn't certain he'd have been able to eat even if he'd tried; he was too nervous. He had no idea what condition Frank and Alice Longbottom would be in when he Called on them.

"Alright, you two haven't eaten anything today, yes?" They nodded their heads. "And you bathed in the pomegranate water as I instructed?"

"Yes, Harry. Trust us, we did everything you asked." We weren't going to mess something like this up," Neville said, putting a hand on his shoulder.