Chapter 19

FENRER

He mulled over Garren Tyronai's words as he waited for Yuven to return with their placements in the round robin matches. If all goes well... He adjusted his leather chainmail, being careful with the wyvern insignia on the guards. They'll place us on different sides. We win this, we'll confront the king together, and figure out the truth. Arms folded, he gazed up at the castle's shadow on the hill. A far cry from the castle of Sivaport, which pushed itself along the cliffs. Further still from his home. Euros, the rose which bloomed from the sky, as Neven described it. Fenrer listened close to the people around him, completely unaware of the brutal attack the night before. His back remembered. He rubbed it when it stung, keeping his head down when two knights ushered the townsfolk into the stands to watch the performance. One way or another, we need to get the Anima out of here. Leaning against the wall, he set his head against it to puff out a small breath. As for the Derelicts... There was no clear answer on that front. Garren Tyronai refused to give him any more than the first truth. Adara was the Anima, and the queen had been a Storm Warden who gave her life to a crystal. And it's going to take a lot out of me to break that spell on her memory. Doubt I'll be able to do it here. It'll have to be enough to loosen the grip.

Footsteps approached from his right, with Yuven holding two small chips. He shoved the crest into his hand. "We show it to the battlemaster," he explained. "Assistant will take us to the..." Yuven hesitated, drawing his tongue out. "Tents, to prepare ourselves and choose our weapons."

"Sounds good." Fenrer tightened the frog of the crescent blade. But I won't part with this. From Yuven's eerie glare and the way the icy maelstrom shielded his own, he agreed with the sentiment. "Do you have a plan to handle these fights? Certain way you want to go about this?"

"It was your idea — was hoping you had one," Yuven needled. "It does not matter, Fenrer. Our skills are above all the rest." He pointed back at the small arena set-up. Banners hushed in the wind, with no colours he recognized. "As long as we both get to king, I don't care how. I've had enough of this kingdom, and wish to leave as soon as possible."

Bells tolled, and the crowd dispersed into the stands. Fenrer raised his hand. "Understood, Yuv." Another bell tolled as Fighters lined up on the other side of the arena, where tents scattered about a small clearing between the houses. "How are you feeling?"

"I should be asking that of you," Yuven said with a frown. "I'm fine. Took compost medicine." He nudged Fenrer in the back as they fell into step with the sparse Fighters while knights directed them to the battlemaster. Crests shown, Yuven clenched his fists as the man sat behind a table studied it. After some deliberation, he nodded them through after checking over Fenrer's with a lot less consideration.

Into the small field of tents, Fenrer and Yuven took one small tent, examining the weapons.

"Ugh..." Yuven stuck out his tongue as he grabbed a thin blade, testing it with several quick thrusts. He twisted the handle into another jab in the air. Fenrer tested the balance of a longsword, giving Yuven ample room to huff and quietly complain in Navee over the rapier.

Fenrer twisted the longsword between both his grips, settling on his right hand to study Yuven as he made another thrust, putting a bit of icy power into it. Mist swirled around the blade as he went into several positions, coming to a stop as the tip pointed at the tent-flap. Yuven tapped the tip of the sword after relaxing his light-footed stance. "It's dull."

"You were expecting it to be sharpened?" Fenrer placed the longsword into his extra frog. "This isn't a fight to the death. It's a round robin fight to first blood. Not that much different from how the Summit does theirs."