Chapter 30

HAYVALA

Her people sang for the light in the dark. Volaris' giant walls of pearlescent marble continued to hold up the ancient barrier which kept the blizzard at bay. 'Why would Evyriaz let us suffer so?' many proclaimed during their time in the crystal cathedral. 'For was this not once his home too when he gifted the Snow Prince the power to drift between the echoes?'

Hayvala helped Kazmira tie up any loose silk on her choice of gown for the ice ball. Fur lined the inside and accented the cuffs and the bottom of the skirt to keep the cold off her feet. Kazmira wrapped the rest of the light-weight, fur protection around her shoulders, buttoning it from the front before patting her shoulders with a satisfied smile and a flick of her golden feathers. "You look radiant, Your Highness. The silver really suits you."

She drew her finger over the small pearls intertwining with her feathers before heading up to her vanity. "I am glad that you think so... though I was never one for these types of events. Thank you for your assistance today, Kazmira."

"Of course, my lady." Kazmira bowed. "Is there anything else you need from me?"

Hayvala considered her through the mirror world. Her aura pulsed and bore down on her head, and without her medication, it proved difficult to push it all away. With the small phial in her hands, she took a gentle swig of the contents before setting it to the side for refilling. "No, I think that is all, Kazmira. Please, go enjoy the festivities." Hayvala heard the song in the distance, then smiled. "Trust me... you're not going to miss anything here."

Nothing but thin ice. Every word is measured. Every weakness remembered.

Hayvala readied the last of her accessories, including her feathered, pearled tiara. Kazmira disappeared out the door, closing it behind her with a hush of wind. The beads clicked against her ears as she tried to set them in their proper place. Windchimes echoed throughout the city outside her balcony, and the green and blue lights danced with the snow, the cloud spreading the colors against the pointed buildings and cobble bridges attaching some sections of the upper levels of the city to the lower. Weight settled on the crown of her head as she shifted to face her reflection. Shadows filled her own, spiraling blues.

Auras came from all around her, unbarred by marble walls. Hayvala released the tension rising in her chest into a sigh, sitting down in her chair to listen to the weary music. Heavy footsteps headed for her door and then came to a stop. "You may come in."

Her heart shoved into her throat when silver hair waved with the wind, gleaming with blue undertones against his long, white feathers as the Ice Knight stepped inside her room as he had many times before to take her to events in the gilded, scaled mail of the Blizzard Sentinels. Standing strong, but no less gentle, noble, with an honorable heart, and in the wrong time. In the wrong place, serving the wrong people.

Whose loyalty meant nothing to those with the power to crush it.

She twisted away from her the falsity of her mirror, where a young Ice Knight with pale hair jumped at her sudden twist. "I am sorry if I scared you, my lady," he said and knelt to the ground, never looking upon her as the silver-haired Ice Knight had. "His Winged Grace is asking for you."

Hayvala calmed her beating heart, and the silver-haired ghost long disappeared out of her reach. "Asking for me in particular, or worrying himself and what is to come?"

The young knight refused to look at her. "I'm... I'm unsure of that, my lady. He was pacing when I left him."

I suppose that does answer my question. "Arise then. You did not scare me. You simply startled me out of my thoughts." I will always remember you. "Tell him I'm ready to head for the ballroom at his discretion—" When the young knight stood up and turned, she added, "—be sure to also state that when I say 'at your discretion' I don't mean he can put it off today. Though it is a frustrating duty, it is no less important as a growing Wyvern King to attend and observe these festivities."