Chapter 36

FENRER

Emotions swirled in the flow of the air as he walked in pace with Yuven as they led Adara farther away from Azahama's largest square, where the navy spire cloaked them in its shadow. He rubbed the bridge of his nose as they passed lamps and the bright auras of people in content. Curiosity flickered silver embers with Adara's every motion. Yuven folded his arms and scoffed but said nothing until they were out of the grasp of the city proper and into the small forest paths to Fallholt and Adara's curiosity shifted to unease at the silence.

"What if we get attacked on the road?"

"Doubtful," Yuven grunted as he knocked his fist on a passing lamp, and runes shuddered up the metal. "Don't insult us. We're not the ones who rejected what protection magick can give us against Derelicts."

His icy maelstrom battled with the fires of silver as Adara scowled back at him. Fenrer stopped in a break in the path to face the two, but almost stumbled at Yuven's irritated ice smashing into his face with the force of a flurry. "Let's not argue here," he pointed out, fighting his exhaustion. "While there is a measure of protection so long as someone patrols this route, it's not uncommon for Derelicts to attack the unprepared." He gazed at Yuven, who pursed his lips. "Nor do we need a repeat of what happened a few suns prior, Yuv."

Adara tipped her head. "What happened?"

"Let's keep walking." Yuven ignored her question to take the lead, leaning closer to Fenrer. "You have said nothing about what happened at the tower, Molvisaliz."

"What is there to say?"

Yuven sent a quick glare Adara's way, who shrunk into her crimson shawl. "You have to be careful," he pointed out. "You can only take so much of others' darkness before it overwhelms you."

Fenrer smiled at Yuven's visible worry. "In theory, yes, but you must remember every Aurus' tolerance is different on a case by case basis." He tipped his head to urge Yuven to keep walking down the darkened path, lit only by the fiery ward lamps along the edges of the undergrowth. "I'm fine."

"Can you stop glaring at me?" Adara huffed.

"I think you should apologise and thank Fenrer for what he did." Yuven snapped to a stop. "If that had went any other way, there wasn't any guarantee we'd be even leaving the city without major resistance." He pointed at her, his feathers flicking in clear annoyance with his icy maelstrom.

"Weren't you the one who seemed raring to have a go?" Adara bit back.

"She has no need to apologise, or thank me," Fenrer added, causing Yuven to peer at him. "It's fine, Yuven. Let's just get somewhere safe and then we can discuss the next steps." He turned his back on the two and headed deeper into the darkness, senses alert for any hint of Derelicts. They passed by the junction where the Warden patrols found the ravaged body of a reckless traveller. Yuven stopped at another break in the path, staring down it with a thoughtful frown. Blankets of old mourning laced the air, but Fenrer pushed on.

The dawn must always come.

Fenrer timed his heartbeats with every word and pushed past the despair with his own mind as the source. Exhaustion coiled around his temples, but he had nowhere to go but forward into the unknown. Yuven caught up to him with ease, overtaking him without his hidden struggle. Crimson lightning sparked in the deepest parts of the flurry, but Yuven never showed any wavering strength. Fenrer checked on Adara, who lagged behind with her own confused expression as they came into view of Fallholt. Compared to the bustling of Azahama, Fallholt proved quiet and full of retrospection. Storm Wardens kept guard at the gates, waving them down as they approached.