Chapter 43

ADARA

It wasn't too hard to see where the area got its name when they arrived on the first day. Golden fields flowed with every little breeze. Knolls rose from the plains and twisted around each other to hide twisting cobbled roads. Massive stones sat atop each of the bigger hills. Past a stone archway with many bright runes, the train slowed to a stop outside a smaller open building, where flags fluttered with the wind and other Storm Wardens stood around, directing people one by one into the safety of temporary shelters. Adara followed Fenrer and Yuven off the train, twisting her head to the middle cars, where two guards flanked an individual in gray robes, where two amphitheres hugged around their neck and down their chest.

"That's... Hirishi-Keinta," Fenrer said in a careful voice. "They are the sovereign of Dyrin."

Adara observed while the sovereign's party tread forth deeper into the dirt paths, led by Storm Wardens. "Is this place large enough to hold this many people?" she asked as Yuven stepped forward to one Storm Warden who held out a large scroll.

"It's only ever been Haneka and Dyrin who participate in this. Neither Naveera nor Tebora have participated for Turns," Fenrer explained. "This is less a diplomatic mission and more of a festival of sorts. Where we can share in each other's cultures."

The Dyrin participants entered a group of stalls full of painted objects and weavers of beautiful silks and fabrics. Home away from home. Adara asked, "So... where are we staying?"

Yuven scoffed. "We are staying with the Storm Wardens, this used to be a large hall hundred turns ago... when the gorge was still a massive threat to the safety of the world," he said, then blinked at her before turning away. Adara folded her arms at the shifty behavior. "That'll be where we have the best sight of the plains and the designated areas." He pointed up one of the largest hills, where a building twirled around its steppes. Standards of the wyvern protecting the star rose atop the building's single tower. "Because someone needs to be responsible for security, and the only danger is Derelicts." He heaved his shoulders with a massive sigh. "And seeing as everyone else tends to be indifferent to the very real threat the Derelicts pose." Yuven tipped his head forward, and his feathers shivered. "Let us go. I doubt the king of Haneka will arrive today," he said, then added under his breath. "Ken'pesh d'lo nex'tikne...'

"What?"

Yuven ignored her and led her and Fenrer through the fields. Past the Dyrin stands, filling steadily with the Dyrenji who arrived on the train with them. Runestones dug into the ground, where magick whispered along her arms as people laughed and lived their life through the blood. Over another, smaller knoll, another roped area and empty of the same life. Black flags with a lightning carved dragon shivered in the wind with the temporary shelters.

Up the largest hill, Adara turned back to take in the view as wind caressed her face. Hand to block the afternoon sun, the plains glowed with light and merry colours from the Dyrin occupied area. Able to see the horizon, where it curved ever so slightly. In the distance, a massive mountain range which clawed its way to the sky. Ancient from its height, almost embracing the endless clouds on the other side. Adara pointed at it, causing Fenrer to turn his attention to her. "What's that?"

"The Aethejin mountain range... and that is Naveera's border," Fenrer answered.

"And not our problem. Naveera has long since made its stance clear on stuff like this. Let them huddle in their snowbanks and freeze to death," Yuven bit. "Come. I need to make sure the cardinal and ordinal anchors are set up properly."

On the second day, another train arrived from the same direction as them late into the evening, and to get away from Yuven's surly mood, she followed Fenrer to see the new arrivals. Gentle string music rose from the Dyrin side and fire sparklers danced around the lampposts as children played underneath the watchful eye of the other participants, guards, and Storm Wardens alike. Fenrer stopped her on the main road, off to the side and out of the way of the new group.