Chapter 32

ADARA

Twilight fell from the green galaxies guiding light. Into a world of bright hues, where mesas dotted the golden plains which stretched around her and into the misty forests ahead. Ahead of them, a road wound into a bustling city. Paper ornaments rustled over doors and walkways deeper into the heart of the activity. A navy spire spread its shadow, while a light shone at its peak, striking the pink clouds of sunrise. Her breath escaped her at the whisper of gentle wind, touching her cheek in welcome. Dim lamps lit the corners of the curved roofs of buildings. As if she stepped into a world of wonder from her nightmare of monsters.

"Bit off the mark, Fenrer," Yuven mumbled on Fenrer's other side. "I was hoping to land through the city's umbral gate."

Fenrer sighed as a carriage rolled past them, crunching the stone underneath the wheels as the horse huffed along its route. "It was the best I could do with the path slowly dwindling in front of us." He turned to her with a smile. "How are you feeling? It was your first time teleporting, yes?"

"I'm... I'm fine." Adara clutched her dirty linens, unable to draw away from the colourful, ever-moving city which blended with the golden plains and mesas. "Where are we?"

"Azahama, I thought that we established that," Yuven mumbled and took the lead without another word. "Let us hurry. We head straight for the lodge to get you — and ourselves — cleaned up and presentable for the Elder Conclave on the morrow." He sent a glance at her. "No dawdling."

Adara scowled but followed nonetheless, the blood weighing down her rags and apron. Everything within the city limits hit her senses. People, living and conversing. Stalls full of unbelievable, unknown things she had never seen. Storefronts, some of them familiar, or guessed. From blacksmiths, to tailors. Some open buildings, where individuals sat at a small bar, sipping at tiny cups and eating breaded food. Adara stumbled in an attempt to keep Yuven's pace. Flowing clothes, from silk to tougher leather for guards made her all the more aware of her own tattered linens. Adara clutched the crimson shawl around her shoulders. Some they passed gave her curious glances, but went on their business without another word until they reached a junction in all paths into the city.

A large marble gate sat upon a platform, in complete stasis. Several runes lined the inner curvature, and etchings of phoenixes drawn along the outside. This must be the square... Adara tried to take it all in, but it was too much. Too much movement. Too much noise. Too much colour and activity and voices.

"We are going that way." Yuven pointed down a different street. "Let's go."

Unable to process all the information, she shuffled behind them and held tighter onto her shawl, raising it to hug the sides of her head. Everything blurred past her until all she focused on was the two Storm Wardens who took her away from the nightmare. Yuven's feathers flicked with the wind as he muttered under his breath, while Fenrer remained silent. Out of the compact, cobbled streets into a rounded second square. Standards raised over a huge, wide building, rustling with the wind. The wyvern in defense of the star. Though it paled in size to the navy spire behind her, the people brought a sense of familiarity to her. Storm Wardens, garbed in studded leather or plate. In the middle, a fountain with the same wyvern, wings outstretched where water dripped from each feather.

Adara moved between them to gaze upon the wonders of an unknown world. Crescent blades shone in the dawn's light as words flitted in her ears. "I..." Water dripped down her throat at the gentle sounds of the fountain as she came closer to it to look into its crystal surface. Perfect, reflective glass. Beauty marred, she dug her fingertips into the grime on her apron, and fought down tears. Fenrer widened his eyes, though Yuven kept his arms folded.