The Taskmasters (Judges & Rubric)

The young writer was certain they would win the competition. They couldn't afford to lose. It wasn't even an option when they made a deal with the Sorcerer.

The storyteller loved writing with their whole heart and they had always wanted to be famous. But, no one else believed that they could reach that stage. Was this writer who had so many dreams just going to stand by and let others ruin any chances they ever had of being a famous writer? No, they were not.

So, of course, when they ran away from their town and into the woods one cloudy afternoon, they said yes to the Sun Sorcerer that promised to grant them a wish if they completed a task. They hadn't even thought of the consequences of making a deal with a witch before saying yes, knowing their one wish.

What was the task, you ask? It was quite simple actually. Compete in a writing competition and actually win it. Yes! That was the young dreamer's task.

Did they win? Did they complete their task? No. No, they did not. And what did the Sorcerer do to her? No one actually knows, but legend says that there is a writer trapped in the witch's castle, cursed to write a story for the sorcerer every other week.

Think you can do better? Think you can actually win this? Now, now, don't get cocky. We all know what happens when you get a little too confident. You lose the game and suffer an endless torture.

These taskmasters are ruthless:
inspiredwriter3456
shouldbeasleeprn
Jae_idk 
highontoons
chaotic_naturx

They judge you harshly and never give any leeway for poor, unfortunate souls like you. So, watch your back and be sure to make them happy by following this guide.

24-Hour Contest Judging Manual
Title: /5
Does the title intrigue the reader to continue reading? Does it connect with the story on some level?

Opening Paragraph: /5
Does the opening paragraph hook the reader? Does it set the mood for the rest of the story?

Grammar/Vocabulary: /15
Are there any grammar and/or spelling mistakes? Is the vocabulary used correctly?

Description: /10
Is the scenery and characters described? Are there narratives outside of dialogue? Does the imagery provide adequate information of the senses? Do you feel like you're right next to the character?

Writing Flow: /10
Are there choppy sentences? Too long of sentences? Does the dialogue look weird? Is the structure pleasing to the eye? Does it distract you from the story?

Character Development: /20
Are the characters well-rounded? Are they interesting? Do they keep the story moving forward? Do all characters have a purpose? Do they develop well through the story? Do you feel sympathy towards them?

Plot: /20
Does the plot coincide with what the characters do? Is it engaging? Does it keep the readers interested? Is there a beginning, middle and end? Is there a conflict and climax (doesn't apply for some stories)? Does it have certain plot points that drive the characters further to the climax?

Representation of Prompt: /5
Is the prompt represented in some way in the story? Is it used in a way that is clear or subtle? Is it noticeable? Is it creative?

Enjoyment: /5
How well did you enjoy it on a personal level, all logistics set aside?

Overall: /100

Bonus: /3
Did they use the bonus prompt? Is the way they used it creative? Did it add to the story? Or was it just a part of the fine print?

So, willing to complete the task? It's either that or slay the beast. Which do you choose?

Still want to fight? Maybe the next chapter will help you give in. Learn about the rewards the sorcerer will add to your wish.