Weave Your Tale #1 | May 21, 2022

Wearily, you stumble forward into the empty room. You're confused, and rightfully so. The sorcerer had commanded you to weave a story from the prompt you would be given, but there was no prompt in this room. There's no slip of parchment, no words written on the ancient stone walls, just emptiness.

That is, until you notice the small golden trinket sitting almost harmlessly in the center of the room. But you already know better. That is no ordinary trinket.

You cautiously step forward, just enough to realize what sits before you is a sundial. But what use would a sundial be to a writer like you?

As you ponder this question, you're startled to realize the shadows in the room are... Growing. Specifically, the ones cast by the sundial. You don't think too much of it, until the shadows start to move and form themselves into impossible shapes.

You stumble back, fearful that this was a trick and that the shadows might just swallow you alive. How could mere shadows even move like that?

Fortunately for you, you notice that these were no ordinary shadows. They seemed to have a life of their own, forming precise lines and curves. And soon you realize that the shadows were forming... Words.

"This must be my first prompt," you think, steeling yourself despite your fear.

Anxious but excited, you read the words that have been carefully formed by the sundial.

"Twenty-four hours, you have been given, and a story from this prompt shall be written. Tardiness... Will not be forgiven. Listen here and listen well, your first prompt is..."

"Who the hell are you?"

You nod to no one in particular, ideas already popping into your imagination. This isn't so bad, it might even be fun.

As if reading your thoughts, the shadows begin to reform themselves. Cold dread forms in your stomach. What did it have to say now?

The shadow words finish forming, and you skim over the words.

"Do not let down your guard, for the consequences might just leave you scarred. For you, some extra help, there is no need to yelp. A bonus prompt for three extra marks, and you might just avoid being charred and marred. Your bonus prompt is..."

"Incorporate a gothic fairy tale into your story."

You sigh, now this would be a little harder than you imagined. Perhaps you could ask for help, though. You remember your good friend was a master of fairy tale retellings... Perhaps making them tag along could help you. Who knows, maybe it might even please the sorcerer and his taskmasters to have more participants...

Very soon, you realize you've stumbled upon a problem. How on Earth would you submit your story to the sorcerer? Perhaps by pigeon, or a messenger, or maybe even a-

You're startled from your thoughts by the sundial once again casting those eerie shadow words. Right on time. But how would words help you submit your story?

Your eyes widen to realize that the letters don't spell out any words, but a link. "What a modern sundial," you think to yourself before whipping out your phone to type in the link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1MohiJWVCB3XWWwQhNpR32gvZRLAtcbanZMiWRQrf8LU/edit?usp=forms_home&ths=true

(External link can also be found below this chapter. You have 24 hours till 9:45am GMT. Good luck!)
-The third taskmaster