CH12. ♙b3 ♛e8

It's early evening when Sebastian finds me in the library. I'm in my usual spot, hidden amongst a mountain of books, focusing on the text in front of me.

I knew it wouldn't take him long to seek me out, his energy always finding ways to mingle with mine.

The first time I met Sebastian, I wasn't expecting something like him and had to rethink my original plan to retrieve the contract. It was Shay's idea to cause the distraction with the dance, and with some help from others, we were able to divert Sebastian's attention long enough to execute our objective successfully.

"Angelo Mio, I should've known this is where you'd be hiding." I glance at him through my lashes, then return my focus to the book in front of me.

No longer wearing a jacket or tie, his red sleeves are rolled to his elbow, revealing strong tattooed arms; Sebastian strides over to my table and picks up one of the books. Studying the title, he opens the cover, flips through a few pages, and returns it to the pile shortly after. "I never took you for a woman that enjoys reading fables."

I shrug and continue scanning the open book in front of me. "You don't like me very much. Do you, Angelo Mio?" Sebastian continues, amusement and something else in his voice.

Closing the book, I sigh at Sebastian and frown, "I like you."

Sebastian laughs and drags a chair over to join me. "Then why do you always try to avoid being in the same room as me?"

I watch as he sits and leans forward, his elbows resting on the work table between us. It's not Sebastian that I'm wary of, but his gifts and what they might sense.

Sebastian isn't like Alexander or Damir. Yes, he's an elemental, but his energy shows something else that I can only assume is from his mother's side and similar to what I sense when I'm with Ciara.

Ciara's gifts, however, are suppressed, and I can only sense fragments of what Sebastian projects, but the imprint is the same. "I'm like that with everyone," I supply—a good enough answer for now.

Sebastian leans closer and runs a gloved hand over his beard, his energy coiling around me like a snake, tasting and waiting to feed. Unlike Alexander, Sebastian's power increases through others' emotions. Like an Incubus, desire seems to be its preferred meal. "It didn't look like you have an issue with il Ragazzo, who had his hands all over you?"

The boy.

He's referring to Dominic, and I shrug. "We were dancing."

Sebastian narrows his eyes and then taps a finger to his lips in thought, "Does he know that? Because he was projecting more than just a friendship vibe."

That spikes my interest. There is little documentation on each elemental leader's abilities in all my research. Besides Sebastian's fire and emotion-leeching gifts, I'm curious about what else he can see or do.

I shrug again and look towards another book, pretending to be bored with this conversation, hoping he'll take this as a challenge and talk more.

Take the bait.

"You don't believe me, Angelo Mio?" Sebastian drops his voice until it's almost like a purr and leans even closer until our faces are only inches apart. "Because I can tell you that he gives off the same Vibe you do when you're around Alexei."

I sit back sharply, not expecting that comment. I thought I hid... Maybe not well enough.

Sebastian tuts and shakes his head as if scolding a naughty child. "Careful, Angelo Mio, you could catch an entire cock in your pretty little mouth with how wide it's open. You'd better close that jaw before I get even more excited."