Chapter 1

Giyuu pov

Oyakata-Sama had asked me to go on a mission to an empire known as Eorka. The Imperial Palace had requested for the presence of one of the strongest slayers.

They actually requested for a knight or mercenary thinking we were a mercenary group since no one knows about the Demon Slayer Corps because it isn't a legal organization.

Apparently, demons - they called them 'weird humans' - had been sighted.

So here I am in Eorka.

Instead of the Imperial Palace I was waiting for the Duke in the Eckhart Mansion, for some reason. The Empress had said something along the lines of "I don't trust you because you are a commoner" or something.

She had literally called for me to protect them and then spat the words 'I don't trust you' in my face. What is wrong with people these days?

A butler came to tell me that the Duke was ready to see me. I followed him out the door towards the office.

I paid attention to the path that we were taking so that I would not forget the direction to the Duke's office.

As I was looking around, my eyes caught a glimpse of magenta. A girl accidentally bumped into me, glanced at my face with her turquoise eyes, apologized and then ran away.

All of this happened in the fraction of a second. But for me... it felt like forever.

I stared at her back as she left but then I remembered what else I saw.

She was crying.

"Who is she and why is she crying?" - Giyuu

"You needn't be worrying about her, Sir. She probably threw another tantrum. All she does is cause trouble for us compared to Miss Yvonne who was much more mature even when she was younger." - Butler (Pennel)

The maids that were present there snickered.

The venom in his words made me mad.

"Answer my question." - Giyuu

"That was Penelope. She was adopted when the real Miss got lost. You needn't concern yourself with that beggar. She is only a replacement." - Maid 1

"A rather poor one at that." - Maid 2

All the maids laughed at that.

I gave them a cold glare to which they all flinched.

"Lead the way, Butler." - Giyuu

"O-Of course. Right this way..!" - Pennel

I followed him in silence once again.

"I feel sorry for the Lady to be under the same roof as all of you. She must be a very kind lady. The servants here are very disrespectful, don't you think?" - Giyuu

He visibly flinched as he quickened his pace and then knocked at the door we reached.

"Your Grace, I have brought him as you asked me too." - Pennel

"Come in." - ???

He opened the door and inside were 3 people.

The Duke and his two sons....

I greeted them and then said that the Empress suggested for me to be their knight for a short period of three weeks before I went back to Japan.

It is obvious that she is trying to bribe them by trying to get on their good side.