Chapter 11

[Author's Note: I am going to change the way I write.]

Turquoise eyes fluttered open.

She sat up before looking around, spotting the old man, brewing tea with his back to her.

He was seated on a tatami mat, with his legs tucked under him.

"You're awake."

"What happened?"

"You passed out. So I tucked you in. You must have been really exhausted from traveling." He spoke as he poured the tea into two cups. 

"I see... Thank you. It has been long since I have felt this refreshed."

He nodded before handing her a cup.

He watched as she blew into her cup as an attempt to cool the warm liquid ever so slightly. The ripples danced as she slowly lowered her lips to take a sip.

Her lips stretched into a satisfied smile once the flavor bloomed in her mouth, filling her tastebuds.

Sakonji moved his mas just enough for him to drink. No part of his face was visible to the magenta haired lady.

Seconds went by and her curiosity grew. But she did not voice it, instead choosing to divert her attention back to her cup of tea.

Yet, the oder seemed to know.

"Are you curious?"

She paused before pursing her lips.

This man was Giyuu's teacher. His father figure. Wrong words could make her fall from his grace.

Moistening her lips, she spoke softly.

"Would it be considered offensive if I said I was?" She tilted her head to the side.

"Of course not. It is only natural to be curious." His voice remained calm and cool.

She smiled softly. "Why do you wear a mask? Is it a tradition?"

The man shook his head. "A demon once mocked me, saying my face looked fragile and kind and thus, did not match my abilities or voice. This scary looking mask does though, does it not?" He chuckled

"Why should it matter? Does the mask not restrict your eyesight? It must be very uncomfortable. You should have just told that demon to keep his mouth shut! And that despite your soft face, you are very much capable of defeating him! People always told me that I look like a villainess due to my sharp features. But I am certain that they say that because they prefer Yvonne, who has gentle features. Anyhow, Urokodaki-San, please do not hide your features because a demon said so!"

Behind the mask, his eyes widened before he chuckled.
"You youngsters...." Sabito had said the same thing when he was younger. "Perhaps I will take this off one day......."

"And when will that be?"

He looked out the window. The same window outside which the two spirits stood, listening in on the conversation.

"The day when I do not have to use my abilities anymore. And I can live as just an ordinary man with soft features. The day when there are no more demons......"

Penelope remained quiet for a few moments.

"Are you saying that to usher everyone to do their best so we can finally see what your soft features look like?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

He laughed. "Perhaps."

A warm silence filled the room until the two finished their tea and Sakonji moved to put away the cups.