cinq

"I can't believe this is actually happening."

I laugh at Nora who stands beside me in awe, dark green eyes wide at the imposing McKenna Hall that we stand in.

"You deserve it, Nor. I just showed her your pictures and your talent did the rest," I reassure.

Her gratitude for me telling Margot about her work has been overwhelming ever since Margot gave her the call 4 days ago, confirming that Nora would be hired for the Buchanan Charity Ball if she is available.

Obviously, never one to underestimate such an incredible opportunity, Nora made herself available for both the event and today, when Margot and I planned to show Nora and the newly-hired caterer around the hall before the big day.

She deserves every bit of the opportunity, but I think Nora still feels out-of-place. She exhales in wonder, eyes roaming the tall ceilings and large stage.

"This is so legit."

I chuckle at the statement and Nora's awestruck expression, her mouth agape as she continues to glance around the hall we've been inside for half an hour.

"Come on Nor, let's head off," I suggest. "Margot said it's fine since she's already seen you and I've shown you around the place. She's still with the caterer I think, so we should be good to leave now," I explain, already angling towards the exit.

Nora leaves a lingering glance towards the stage before turning towards me and quietly huffing.

"Fine."

I laugh again and lead the way out, opening the door for Nora.

We stroll along the pavement in comfortable silence towards the street where I parked my car, the place where Jai is supposed to pick Nora up.

"Nora, it's not like you haven't worked for big events before. You're pretty experienced," I say, interrupting the silence to ensure Nora feels as confident as she should.

She absentmindedly kicks her Adidas sneakers against the ground, her jean-clad legs slowing their movements.

"Yeah, but nothing of this calibre. This event is going to have so many people and it'll be so fancy. I know there'll be another photographer there with me since it is that big of an event, but they're the basic photographer for UCLA. I'm like the legit, hired photographer by Margot." Nora's movements slow even further and I follow her words in interest.

"This ball is nothing like what I usually do. I mean, it's a big step from the exhibit I've got next week and I thought that was cool. This is crazy for me," she explains and I turn towards Nora to catch her gaze, stopping as we reach the football field.

It's soccer actually, I hear Levi say in my head.

"Nora, you're brilliant. You're so talented and it's like you use a different lens to everyone else, finding angles and moments which capture so much more than just images in your photos. You deserve every bit of this opportunity and you're going to kill it. This is just the start for you."

I'm glad I made an effort to stop and look Nora in the eyes as I say these words because the sheer love and gratitude I see in her expression is exactly what I hoped to see. Her small hand reaches up to squeeze mine - once, then twice - before dropping back down as she starts to walk again.

My legs easily match her pace so I can catch the words she says next.

"Thank you Rory, I really needed to hear that. And I hope you know this too, but you're just as much a part of this as me, if not Margot herself. And you deserve every bit of the responsibility."

My lips tug and my cheeks lift and the smile that graces my face is unavoidable. I'm about to express my gratitude at her words but I'm interrupted before I even open my mouth.