neuf

The art exhibit is larger than I expected, pristine white walls lined with paintings, photos and sketches that seem to go on forever.

I glance around for someone I know, brown eyes flickering across the many people meandering by the displayed artworks.

I spot a head of dark red hair and immediately walk towards it. When I approach the short girl, I am met with dark green eyes.

"Rory!" Nora exclaims when she sees me. She looks at the people behind me. "What a turnout, right?" she says, impressed.

I've been to a fair few art exhibits for Nora before and none have been this popular. Of course, there are many artworks and artists on display, but I'm certain Nora appreciates the exposure.

"Definitely," I affirm. "A lot of people are going to see your work, Nor."

She smiles up at me, a big grin exposing how happy she is.

She then shows me her photography, explaining the symbols and expertise within each photo that she has captured. Her art is all different, some photos of candid scenery with others of carefully orchestrated objects, positioned in such a way to tell a story.

After half an hour, I realise that someone is missing.

"Where's Jai?" I ask, looking around as if he has been present the whole time. He's always at Nora's exhibits, following her around with a hand on her waist while she introduces him to everyone she knows.

When I glance back at Nora, her expression is stoic. Her lips are set in a straight line, her eyes downcast and I suddenly wonder how a mention of her boyfriend could cause such a shift in her demeanour.

"What's wrong?" I ask, worried. While always being a quiet person, Nora makes an effort to appear happy, a smile usually donning her features. This sudden tenseness is concerning.

She glances up at me, but her eyes quickly dart back to her art.

"He couldn't make it," she reveals and I can hear the disappointment in her tone.

Her eyes are still glued to the wall, not meeting my own. I feel like I'm missing something, but I decide not to press further. Nora will tell me in her own time.

A hand against my lower back interrupts my thoughts.

I'm about to turn around to assess whoever has touched me before I hear a familiar voice whisper in my ear, his proximity doing all sorts of wonderful things to my insides.

"Hey stalker," Levi greets, his voice so low that Nora doesn't even look up.

He clears his throat, stepping the tiniest bit away from me when Nora finally notices him.

"Hi Nora," he says, a smile on his face. "The exhibit is incredible," he adds. I wonder how long he's been here.

Nora's face transforms into her usual smile, her eyes dancing between Levi and the hand that is still situated on my back.

"Hey Levi, it's nice to see you again. Thanks for coming." Her eyes drift to somewhere behind me, noticing something. "Oh, I should probably say hi to some people. Network, you know." She nods at Levi, briefly grinning at me. "I'll leave you guys to it. Feel free to leave whenever, I'll probably be busy."

Nora walks past me, eyes immediately following a group of people. I turn to Levi who is already looking at me, smiling up at him. In my heels I like the way I come up to a spot just under his nose. I also like the way his hand is still warming my back.

"Hi," I greet. His eyes crinkle in response, those glorious dimples appearing in his cheeks.

We walk around the exhibit, examining different pieces of photography and artwork, his hand eventually leaving my back.