bonus chapter: 1

So, just as a quick author's note, bonus chapters are NOT during the main story. They are before y/n was hired by viggo, and these are just to give y/n a background.

Addition to the key:

F/n = friend name

______________________________________

Many, many years ago:

While I was playing outside with my friend, my mom called us in for dinner. Usually, our parents weren't very strict with us, and they allowed us to basically spend days at each other's houses. Walking through the wooden doorway, the smell of yak legs filled my nose. Me and my friend quickened our pase, once the delicious smell of food made it to us.

Sitting down at our table, we all got two legs each, along with some fruits.
While me and f/n were laughing at our stupid jokes, the door burst open, revealing a large man with an axe held in his hand. Once I saw him, my eyes went wide, as I charged towards him. Once I made it to him, I hugged him with all of my strength. My dad made it back home!

Dad: hey honey, how's it been?

My dad hugged me back, as a sigh of relief came from my mom. I'm glad he's still alive, he did go dragon hunting to pay off the community.

Mom: so, how'd it go?

Dad: we got a gronkle. Other then that, we found an abandoned egg. We were going to make an omelette with it, but the Chief told us not to. I've never even seen an egg like the one we found, though.

Dad Leaned his axe on the wall, as he sat down to enjoy mom's cooking. I really hope they talk about the egg, I like hearing things about dragons.

Sadly, all they wanted to talk about was grown up stuff, like trying not to be exiled from the village. I don't know why the Chief can't forgive us for whatever we did, people make mistakes!

Y/n: dad, what dragons did you see on your trip?

Dad: oh, we only saw the gronkle. It seems like something was scaring them off. There weren't even any boars, sheep, yaks...

Y/n: do you think another dragon scared them off?

Dad: oh, I doubt that. It would take a pretty scary dragon to scare off the monstrous nightmares. I mean, even the eels were gone!

Dad put his rough hand on my head, and started messing up my hair, while talking to mom. While eating, and talking about scary dragons with f/n, we heard the scary sounds of the war horn. Hoping that it was just our devious neighbors, we all listened quietly, when the panicked yells of vikings began to echo. I thought we were at peace with the other tribes!
Soon, we all heard something, confirming that it wasn't another tribe...

Viking: DRAGON!!!

The mighty roar of a massive dragon rang my ears, making me cover them as dad ran over to grab his axe.

Mom: honey, don't do it!

Dad: I have to, this is my chance to impress the Chief. Don't worry my love, I'll be safe.

Dad ran outside to face the dragon, as my mom lead us to my room.

Mom: whatever you do, don't leave until we come back. I'm helping your father. Please stay safe!

Mom closed the door, disappearing from sight as her quick footsteps could be heard leaving the house.

As the loud roars followed by whooshing fire came from outside, I tried hiding in the corner of the room with f/n. As we both held each other for comfort, I stared thinking about my parents. I know they're tough, but judging by the terrifying sounds outside, so is this dragon. What if we can't kill it? What if my parents get hurt?