Mission 1: new assignment

Everyone has a part of themselves that they don't show to anyone else.

Not their friends.
Not to lovers.
Not even to their families.

With fake smiles and bluffs, they hide their true thoughts and their true selves.

This is how the world glosses over things for the sake of peace.

.。.:*☆___★___☆*:.。.

𝓨ou sit perched on the balcony of a high building tiredly staring off into space. It was nearly two in the morning and you would much rather be surrounded by the comfort of your blankets, or at least, indoors and out of the cold. But as your nose continued to run due to the nipping wind, all you could do was wait for your target to show up.

"Alaric Horne..." you read the file over for the tenth time, since there was nothing else to do, to pass the time. The stick of the fifth sucker you've had to keep awake hung from your lips. "A drug dealer who has been smuggling a newly developed drug to enemies in Ostania that is supposed to stimulate the brain and keep someone from falling asleep for up to a week's time. An exchange is to happen tonight at 2 am. Eliminate him before the exchange is complete and recover the evidence for HQ."

You let out a sigh, popping the sucker out your mouth. You check your watch again. 1:56.

"Honestly, a drug that keeps you up wouldn't be so bad right now," you muttered, rubbing your tired eyes.

Late night missions were the worst. Having to stay up until ungodly hours was draining on the mind and body. Not to mention the heavy weight of all the artillery one needed to carry. And one couldn't simply doze off for a few minutes with the hopes of maybe getting a few moments of sleep before their mission.

No.

A sniper had to be alert and ready at all times. Not just incase their enemy made a move earlier than anticipated, but to be on the lookout for enemies planning to take them out as well.

Despite being only eighteen, or at least, that's what you assumed your age was (not that your past really mattered much now), you've become quite a renowned figure for the Westalia Intelligence Services' Eastern-Focused Division. A master sharpshooter and gunner who never misses her target, no matter how far or how small: Nyx.

The goddess of night and personification of darkness, Nyx. She was known as a powerful being that even Zeus himself feared and avoided angering. It was the perfect name for a sniper with a one hundred percent kill streak. Crossing with the demon of night ensured certain death.

At first, you honestly despised the name. Your mentor who trained you to be the marksman you were gave it to you as a way to discard your previous name and your previous life.

Whatever happened before W.I.S.E was honestly a blurred memory. You recalled bits and pieces of your childhood with your older brother, but nothing of your parents or where you grew up. Your brother was much older than you, so when W.I.S.E found you both, you were still a child and he a young teen.

While your brother was molded into the organization's top spy, your childhood was spent turning you into a murderer who killed for the sake of peace. Perhaps you were brainwashed. Perhaps it was on your own will. After all, you put up no fight to the training in order to stay with your only living relative.