Mission 8: pass or fail

Red splatters against the concrete as the blood of your victim bursts from where the bullet pierced their chest. They collapse. Their companions begin to freak out and do what they can to try to administer first aid while waiting for an ambulance.

It's futile.

He's dead.

You were sure of it.

After all, you aim was much better when you were upset.

It's be a few days since the interview and the Forger household was nothing but gloomy. After you guys got home, Loid and Yor were both pissed and both you and Anya were in tears. You've barricaded yourself in your room, using the window to leave and do your assignments.

Loid and Yor would try and knock on the door with no avail. Anya tried to come by once and you sadly told her "sorry, Auntie just wants to be alone."

The things Swan said cut deep and you were upset with yourself for letting his full of shit words affect you so much.

After you walked out the room, your brother had followed.

"Y/n!" He grabs you by the arm, gently pulling you to a stop. Anya, surprised by your tears, quickly runs over and hugs your leg.

"Auntie's crying!"

"Brother," you sniffle. You wipe the tears away. "Go back inside. You need to finish Anya's interview."

"No. They've upset you, we can leave."

Your eyes widen. You wretch your arm away from him, causing Anya to stumble in the process. "Are you insane?" You hiss. "You have to. Because-"

Loid's eyes narrow. He then does something unexpected: pulls you into a hug. You freeze, not used to the affection from him. But, you oddly like it. He's warm and smells like the cologne he uses. It almost brings more tears to your eyes because the last time he's hugged you like this was when you were a kid crying in the rubble of your home. When he gave you a hug then, it was to be a safety cushion. A reassurance that everything would be ok.

"This isn't worth your sadness," he said.

"Here, auntie have a peanut," Anya said. You chuckle as she pulls a few nuts from the pocket of her dress. Lois's eye twitches but he doesn't say anything.

"Thanks kiddo."

"Miss Forger." Henderson steps out into the hall with Yor following. "I'd like to apologize on behalf of Eden. Mr. Swan's behavior was unacceptable and he will be dealt with accordingly."

You force a smile, but it clearly didn't reach your eyes. "It's ok...I hope I didn't jeopardize Anya's chances at acceptance."

"Nonsense. It would still be our honor to interview her if it is ok with Mr. Forger."

Loid shoots you a concerned look. "Go ahead," you softly say. "I'll wait here."

And you did. But not even ten minutes later, there is a crash. A seething Loid and Yor leave the room followed by Anya who was in tears. Whatever happened wasn't good.

You hoist yourself up to the second floor fire escape and climb back through the open window of your bedroom. The lights were off as you had left them. Your bed untouched from the sleepless nights. The previous day's dinner of spaghetti, curtesy of Loid (and Anya) sat on your desk. Not even a dent had been made in it.

Closing the window, you drop your case of weapons on the floor. To your surprise, the lights then flicker on. Your heart nearly jumped out your chest. Loid sits on the edge of the bed with his arms crossed.