19 ~ Finding Home

"Dr. Banner?"

Looking up from his papers, Bruce replies, "yes?"

"Where am I going to go?" Katie asks, nervously fidgeting with her fingers. Ever since she found out that her uncle had been "put in prison", that has been her main concern. Knowing she has no one left, Katie doesn't know where she'll end up.

"Oh," he awkwardly drawls off, not entirely sure himself. "Uh, we're not exactly sure right now..."

Katie frowns, why isn't he just telling her what's gonna happen? She's not stupid. She's going to end up in the system. It's not like she is any stranger to difficult situations—clearly.

Bruce curses the fact that she decided to ask that question when the people who would actually know the answer stepped out to get food for everyone.

The silence, once again, ensues. Dahlia wishes that she'd be able to do something. Her time at the hospital has been more pleasant than most, but that doesn't negate the fact that she's practically dying of boredom.

Bruce looks at the time and sighs. Why are they taking so long? The place they were going isn't that far away.

The others—Tony, Peter, Natasha, and Sam—are currently walking out of a book store. They wouldn't have stopped had Peter not dragged Tony in saying they should grab some stuff to keep Dahlia occupied. They keep having to remind Peter that Dahlia isn't really her name. At this point, most of them don't even try to correct him anymore.

"Sorry we took so long," Peter apologises as he enters the room carrying a bag from the bookstore.

"We would have got back sooner if someone didn't have the attention span of a goldfish," Tony jokes. "Pete got you some books. Figured that you'd like something to do."

Katie's eyes widen as she is handed the two bags. Not in the least was she expecting to be gifted anything. "Thank you..."

Stark waves her off, "no problem, kid."

In one bag are an assortment of activity books. Colouring pages, word searches, sudokus, and a pack of coloured pencils. In the other bag are some books she mentioned on the off-hand to Peter. She's surprised he actually was paying attention and cared enough to get her such things.

Peter smiles, happy that he could bring something that made her happy. She deserves it.

Bruce and Tony go off to the side to talk. After a while, Natasha is called over, so she excuses herself from her conversation with Sam. Katie keeps sneaking worried glances over at the adults who are surely talking about her. Peter tries to distract her because he doesn't like seeing her so upset. This proceeds for a while before they come back together.

Tony claps his hands once to get everyone's attention, "alright. Everyone out."

A sick feeling grows in Katie's stomach. What's going to happen now? Peter whines as Sam claps him on the back to begin escorting him out of the room. Bruce sends Katie a smile with a small wave before shutting the door. That leaves Natasha and Tony along with Katie in the bland room.

"So I heard you were talking to Bruce about what's going to happen now that your uncle is ...in prison" Tony starts off. He leans against the table, watching as Katie shifts uncomfortably.

"Yes...he said that he doesn't know what will happen to me..." Katie fidgets with her hands, looking down at her lap.

"Well, first thing's first." Tony walks over to where Katie is sitting.

Natasha sits on the chair next to her, saying, "we want to make sure you feel safe and comfortable with us. We won't let anyone hurt you or take advantage of you."

"You get the final say in what happens because it's your life. We don't want to force you to do anything you don't want," Tony adds in.

Nat speaks gently. "But, you need to understand that if something does happen, we are here for you. No matter what. If you ever get lonely or think about something bad, you can always count on us. Okay?" Katie nods slowly. This is all strange for her. They actually care. Natasha takes a breath, worried about the response she's going to receive. "I was thinking... if you'd like... I could take you in."

Katie stares at her with disbelief. Is this really happening? She wasn't prepared for this sudden offer.

"You don't have to decide now." Natasha continues, "but I thought, maybe it could work?"

Katie nods again slowly. Yes, this is real. She's getting the chance to stay here with these-seemingly-amazing people.

"What do you think?" Tony asks Katie, glimpsing back at Natasha because he knows how long it took for her to gain the courage to ask.

"I...don't know...." Katie bites down on her lip, wondering if this was really a good idea. Maybe it will only be for a few months. Just until her uncle gets out and takes her back. If that's the case, Katie doesn't see what harm it would do. She'd get out of their way soon enough. They both look back at her expectantly. She hates doing this kind of thing, but there's something about these people that makes her want to trust them so much. "Okay..."

"Alright!" Tony exclaims, "we'll get all that stuff cleared soon enough!"

Katie nods and begins nervously picking at her fingernails. Natasha subtly smiles, happy that she agreed. She hasn't thought much about having a future. That is, a future where family was involved. But now that she thinks about it, it would be nice to have someone to look after and cherish just as she longed to be when she was young.

Nervous once again—an uncommon emotion for Natasha—she also adds, "if you'd like we can change your name to match mine."

Immediately second-guessing herself she quickly says, "but you don't have to, of course." Natasha internally berates herself. Why is she acting so strange? She's usually flawless at hiding her weaknesses. Keeping calm, cool, and collected under pressure was her thing. So why is now any different? Perhaps it's because she doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize their relationship or Katie's trust. Perhaps she is worried that if she messes up she won't be able to manoeuvre her way through it to fix it. Whatever the reasons may be, Natasha hates her new state.

Katie brightens at the thought of being able to change her name. Every time she heard her last name all she could think of was her family. A topic much too sensitive for her. She wonders if, perhaps, she would be able to change her first name as well. After hearing that name being groaned out in pleasure as she was being used for her body too many times, being called that always makes her feel nauseous. "I... I wouldn't mind," she murmurs. 

Natasha can't recall the last time she truly smiled this big. She is going to have a daughter. Something she never thought feasible. Yet here she is, sitting in this hospital bed already having stolen Natasha's heart.