10. 𝙲𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚜. Part 1

XINA
July 1, 1993
Rochester, NY
6:00pm

"Como la flor Con tanto amor Me diste tú, se marchitoMe marcho hoy, yo sé perder"

"Como la flor
Con tanto amor
Me diste tú, se marchito
Me marcho hoy, yo sé perder"

I sang what I'd just wrote, smiling to myself in approval. I erased what I initially wrote as the chorus and left the most recent one there. I thought to myself, what could complete this chorus? Something different. After a couple of minutes of reciting what I'd already wrote and adding potentials, it finally clicked.

"Pero, a-a-ay, cómo me duele
A-a-ay, cómo me duele"

"That's it, that's the one," I giggled, penning it down on the white lined sheet of my lightly worn notebook. I've been secretly writing Spanish songs for the past few months while preparing for the tour. Initially I started writing these pieces as an escape from all of the drama that's been going on within the group. But the more I wrote, the more I've inspired myself to keep it going. Lately I've been wondering what it would be like if I'd ever released these songs. Would people like it? Would my American fans even understand it? I don't know, but everyday it had me thinking. I could really see myself making a career out of predominantly Latin music.

My dad and his side of the family are originally from Corpus Christi, Texas. Therefore, I grew up listening to Tejano music pretty heavily. It inspired me so much growing up, but I've always been afraid to touch that genre of music because of my broken Spanish as a child. I remember back in grade school, kids would bully me for not being fluent in Spanish which sort of forced me to pick up on it much quicker than I intended to.

My mom never pressured me to learn it early on, but my dad? Different story. Although I grew up listening to Tejano and Latin music, my mother being from LA, was a huge hip hop and RnB head. She's a true definition of a 'Chola,' hence why it was so easy for me to bond with the beautiful ladies in my group and make hit after hit with them. Though I love and appreciate the culture of my African American brothers and sisters and all that they've brought to music, I want to step into the light of my own culture a little bit. You know, represent for the Latina's.

Knock knock knock.

"Aye come on Xi! We up in 10!," Tehmina called from the now open door, invading my privacy.

"Viniendo!" I said, quickly closing my notebook and shoving it in my purse that sat on the couch of my dressing room.

OMINOUS