20. 𝙽𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚂𝚊𝚢 𝙽𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛.

IZZY
September 2, 1993
Seattle, WA
12:00pm

"The big 23 Izzy! How ya feel girl?!," Missy asked, wrapping me in a big hug

"I feel the same honestly," I chuckled. "Is 23 even a significant year?"

"Hell yeah girl it's ya Jordan year!" Elgin air balled, mimicking the legendary Michael Jordan.

"Okay okay I'll give you that one," I laughed along with them. Suddenly I hear someone clear their throat from behind me, grabbing my attention. I quickly spun around, and much to my surprise I see my best male friend standing there with his family.

"Kurt!" I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his shoulder. He chuckled deeply and warmly as he held me for a few seconds. "I'm surprised you're here!"

"You think you'd come to Seattle,  and I'd miss my Strawberry shortcake's birthday? Hell no!" he exclaimed. Taking a good look at his eyes, I knew something seemed...different. He looked tired, very tired. My smile dimmed a bit, as I instinctively worried about my best friend. My big brother. Before I could fully process this feeling, he turned his attention to his wife Courtney Love, who I've met only twice before, and his one year old baby Frances.

"You have yet to meet your niece! Here she is," he took the cooing baby from Courtney's arms and handed her to me. Courtney just stood there smiling and waving at me. I waved back before scooping the calm little girl in my arms, my worries subsided with joy.

"Oh my gosh! Hey my love," I adjusted her to sit on my hip. She smiled brightly at me, her blue eyes gleaming and as she palmed my cheeks with her small hands.

"She's so beautiful!"

"Thank you! I'm happy she finally gets to meet you. I'll get the rest of the girls so they can meet her too." Kurt hurried to gather Tehmina, Emani, and Xina.

"So, you're dating that guy over there right?" Courtney asked pointing her eyes towards Dino, then back at me.

"Uh huh," I confirmed, bouncing Frances slightly on my hip. She made herself comfortable, laying her head on my shoulder.

"How is that?"

"Oh- uh, it's great! It's really great actually, he's...amazing," I stuttered slightly, a bit shocked that she's even asking me this. We rarely talked outside of Kurt's presence, but the times that we have, it's never been about our love lives.

She cocked one side of her lips up slightly in a smile. "Don't you ever miss the other one? What's his name? Devon?"

"DeVante," I corrected.

"That's right," she snapped her fingers, "Him."

"I-uh, it's complicated. I wish him the best, but we'll never get back together again," I said with confidence on the surface, but deep down those words pained me. My heartstrings pulled slightly, and my throat became raw, but I pushed these sensations to the side.