Chapter 6

We have arrived... Where? I don't even know anymore, I don't even know why we are here. Ash gets me out of the car while Fezco arrives to help him. I feel myself starting to leave, and then this feeling arises. The feeling of calm, of well-being, that moment when no problem comes to your mind. The emptiness My dad is away, Nate is away, nothing matters anymore

-Ash: Kylee! Hey, you're staying with us, right? What the hell!

-Fezco: Come on Kylee! We're almost there!

-Me: I...

Then my eyelids close. It's dark, quiet, and silent, but there's also fear. I don't know what's going on, my eyes are closed but I can't open them. I try, with all my strength but nothing makes it. I try to open them, time seems to have stopped. I can't hear anyone, I shout or at least I try to shout.

Me: Fezco! Lexie! Ash! Ashtray!

But nobody hears me, nobody comes to wake me up I stop.

There is silence for a long time. I can't tell if it's been hours, days

Then a noise breaks the silence. A discontinuous beep, like the one in hospitals. The noise becomes louder and louder and a light appears. Which grows until my eyes open.

-Me: Where am I?

I sit up and see around me a hospital room.

-Me: What the hell am I doing in the hospital?

I get up and get dressed. I don't understand anything but I know that I want to get out of here! Before leaving the room, I take the bag of painkillers. This bag filled with this liquid that makes me high, fly.

I hurry and get out of the hospital. It's day, or night. No, actually it's sunset, dusk. I could go back to my mother's but I don't want to. I want to go for a walk, to feel life, to see the sunset and the rising of our beautiful moon.

I walk to the lake and sit down to watch the sky blaze.

Ashtray's view:

He gets a call and picks up.

-Ash : Yes?

-Hi, it's about Kylee Howard.

-Ash: Has she woken up?

-Yes, but there's a slight problem.

-Ash: What?

-We don't know how but she got out of the compound and we don't know where she went.

-Ash: Damn it!

He hangs up and goes to look for me.

My point of view:

I'm quietly watching the sunset with the painkiller bag in my hand that is seriously starting to run out.

-Me: Damn it!

The last drop flows down the tube, into my vein to give me one last moment of respite. Then the nightmare starts again I don't know what to do. I remove the IV, throw the bag away and someone grabs me from behind. I scream:

-Me: Let me go!

I struggle and then I hear a voice.

-Ash: It's Ash! Don't hit me!

I turn around and see him. I'm happy but I don't show it.

-Me: But you're such an idiot!

-Ash: You say that to the person who saved you!

-Me: I don't need your help!

-Ash: Get in the car!

-Me: No!

-Ash: I said get in!

-Me: No! I do what I want!

-Ash: What the hell is wrong with you! We're trying to help you but you're rejecting everything!

-Me: You don't know me so shut up! And don't think that just because you saved me that I'm going to trust you!

-Ash: Just get in the car and I'll take you home!

-Me: I told you I'm not getting in! Seriously man, you really think I'm going to get in with a guy who has guns on him 24/7 and is a drug dealer! I know guys like you and every time it ends badly because guys like you are scum!

I must admit that it hurts me to tell him that. I've known him for a short time but something is different about him and I don't like it. He is different!

After my words, he doesn't answer.

He looks at me then leaves in the car. I wait for him to leave but he stays there, the engine on, waiting for me. I am angry then I go up with him in the car.

The drive is long and silent. I know I have hurt him by saying all these things. My heart is in my throat. When we arrive, he gets out of the car and goes straight home.

-Me: Oh shit! I'm such an idiot!

I get out of the car and stop at the front door. I can't go in, I have to leave him. My phone vibrates and then I see the date: July 13, 2022

It's been at least two weeks since I've been home and I notice I have hundreds of missed calls from Lexie, Cassie and my mom.

-Me: So he didn't tell them anything

I hesitate to go in but I prefer to go back home to tell my mom and my sisters. I look around and see my bike, covered in blood.

-Me: Great!

I take it and go to my mother's house