Chapter 16

Kane's knuckles whitened as he gripped the steering wheel. He watched Kay from his truck, which was parked a good distance away from the cemetery covered in light snow. It took all of his inner strength to stay put as she wept at her mother's grave. He swallowed, knowing he hurt her deep. All he wanted to do was tuck her in his arms and absorb her pain.

He hadn't expected to meet Tanya or Tammy—whatever her name was—as he trudged through the nearest bar, consuming several Vermouths, shots of bourbon, and a beer. All he remembered was that she bore a resemblance to Kay and seemed eager enough to strike up a conversation. Sure, she had a stunning body and green eyes that rivaled most, but her aura didn't churn his inner beast like Kay's had when she was near him. With the image of her pouty lips, pear-shaped breasts and a cute little tattoo seared in his mind, he needed to know if she had more. The thought of exploring her skin made him squirm in his seat.

When he ran into her at the bookstore, he almost forgot about agreeing to the date with the other woman the night before. Kay's presence caught him off-guard when she approached him and he almost had half the mind to yank her into a deep kiss and saying to hell with the date altogether. It was merely a coincidence when Tina or whatever broke him out of his hungering stupor. As difficult as it was, he knew what had to be done. Guilt pierced his cursed soul. The last thing Kay needed was him putting her through hell.

"Fuck it," he reached for the door handle when Rain's words intervened.

Cut her loose.

He released the handle, stewing with reluctance.

This is necessary, he told himself. Kay didn't deserve an asshole like him—she deserved better. Much better. Someone who would die of old age, who didn't have to go into hiding every few decades. Who wouldn't burst into a raging lunatic each time his emotions were triggered the wrong way.

Someone normal.

Cut her loose.

Placing the truck in park, he let his foot off the gas as his ears perked up at the sound of some strange ringtone.

***

Kay wiped her tears with the back of her gloved hand, wishing her mother was with her in this very moment. She'd pull Kay into her embrace, allowing her to cry on her lap while she scratched her back for as long as needed. She'd bake her lemon cupcakes and watch movies with her. They were each other's everything. Two peas in a pod. No matter what life threw at them. Death couldn't separate their everlasting love for one another.

Curling up against her mother's epitaph, she traced the blue jay etched on the grey marbled slab. Along with the words, Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything. Her favorite quote from C.S Lewis.

Meg Myers' rendition of Running up that hill bellowed from Kay's pocket.

Someone was calling.

She didn't have the energy to speak to a single soul, the words pouring over how she felt in that moment. She only wanted to make a deal with God to swap places with her mother. On hands and knees, she'd beg God if she could to get her mother back, if only for a day.

"It was supposed to be us—just us. Why didn't you come to my graduation? I looked for you in that crowd," fresh tears washed over her cheeks. "Did I do something wrong? God, mom, I'm so lonely. I have no friends, no boyfriend, or family. It's like I don't matter here. I'm not worth anything to anyone. Mom- why did you leave me?" She sobbed, hugging her knees tightly to her chest, her breaths misting in narrow, white puffs.

Her phone rang again. She sniffled, digging it out of her coat and answered.

"Kayla, thank God. It's me- Chrissy." Kay's breath caught, her mind unable to formulate a thought as her words lodged in her throat. It had been nine years since she last spoke to her estranged sister.