twenty-five

Dane

I follow Mackenzie into her house, mentally thanking myself for always having an overnight bag in my car for situations where I need a change of clothes. None of her roommates are home, probably all still at our party. We blow up the mattress, and I'm shocked when she allows me to sleep on the floor of her room. Most girls I know would shamelessly ask me to sleep in the bed with them, or they would kick me into the living room. 

Mackenzie finds me a charger for my phone and makes sure that I set my alarm for practice. "Mother much?" I ask her when she asks about the alarm.

"I know it's important to you." She says casually. I don't deserve this girl in my life, even as a tutor. 

I know I should fall asleep soon because I have to get up for practice, but I'm not even slightly sleepy.

"Do you want to watch something?" I ask her. 

"Sure." 

Mackenzie doesn't have a TV in her room, so we just set up her laptop where we can both see it, her from her bed, and me from the floor. She lets me choose, which seems awfully nice of her. When I choose a baseball movie, she rolls her eyes but doesn't complain. 

As I start it, she reaches down and taps me on the shoulder. "Hey, Dane?"

"Yeah?" I turn to look at her.

"Thanks for helping me tonight."

"You're welcome, Mack." 

We're silent as I start the movie. Twenty minutes in, I look up to see if Mackenzie is still watching. Her eyes are closed and her breathing is even and steady. She looks so peaceful as she sleeps. I badly want to get into the bed and just hold her close to me. I have to remind myself that I said she was just going to be my tutor. I should not be starting anything.

I make it through another ten minutes of the movie before I drift off to sleep as well. 

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I'm tempted to snooze it until I remember that I'm in Mackenzie's room. I frantically search for my phone and turn it off as soon as I can. I don't want to disturb Mackenzie. 

Becoming aware of my surroundings, I realize that Mackenzie is awake and on her phone. She's just laying in bed, the phone right in front of her face. She gives me a lopsided smile. "Don't worry. I've been awake for a while."

"Why are you up so early? It's Saturday!"

"I've got a lot of homework to do."

"I see that." I say, looking pointedly at her phone.

"I wanted to let you get your beauty sleep." Mackenzie laughs. "You snore." 

"I do not!" No one has ever told me that I snore before. 

"Whatever you want to believe, baseball boy." Mackenzie swings her legs out of bed. I'm praying that I get to see panties, but alas, she's still wearing shorts. I'm disappointed. 

Unfortunately, I cannot stay to banter with Mackenzie. I use her bathroom, and get dressed as fast as possible. "I'll see you this afternoon?" I ask.

"Yep. Normal time and place." Mackenzie agrees, and I rush out the door, passing Hannah on the way out. 

"Good morning, Dane!" Hannah sounds as chipper as Mackenzie did. What a bunch of weirdos. 

I haven't even shut the door and I can hear Hannah questioning Mackenzie. I shove thoughts of Mackenzie out of my head as I drive to practice. 

I manage to make it slightly early, but Noah is already sitting in the dugout. 

"Didn't come home last night?" Noah raises an eyebrow at me.

"I slept at Mackenzie's." I tell him.

"Anything exciting happen?" He wiggles his eyebrows.

"No. I slept on her floor."

"Ugh. Boring." Noah sighs. "Hannah and I were hoping we'd started something."

"She's my tutor." I say for what feels like the millionth time.

"So you keep saying." Noah gives me a look like he feels bad for me. "It just seems like you guys are becoming good friends." 

"I guess." I mutter, not liking where this conversation is going.

"And she's cute." Noah adds. "It just--"

"No." I cut Noah off, knowing where she's going.

"No? You don't think she's cute?"

"Of course I think she's cute--" Noah is wearing a massive smile, knowing he's gotten under my skin. It's his favorite pastime. "I just don't want to mess anything up."

"Anything being what? Your comp sci grade?"

"No!" God, I feel like I'm walking through a minefield.

"I'm just giving you a hard time, man. I like Mack. I support whatever you want to do. Just know, a girl like that doesn't stay single forever."

"Noah--" He holds up his hands. 

"I'll say no more." Noah gives me another broad grin. "If anything, I think she can do better than you." 

He's right.