fourteen

Mackenzie

Friday is uneventful until I make it home after classes. I try to give myself a small break on Friday afternoons where I don't stay at school literally all day. 

When I walk in the house, a girl I don't know is sitting on our couch and none of my roommates are in sight. "Hello?" I say cautiously.

"Hi!" She sounds very peppy, and I'm thrown off because none of my roommates usually like people that sound quite this peppy. "I'm Lea! I know Kate, we kissed during an exam!" The peppy tone continues, and Lea says this as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. This is not a girl that I would have pegged for Kate, but she's very cute, so I give her a smile. 

"I'm Mackenzie." I tell her.

"Yeah, I know. Editor-in-chief of the paper. I loved your first issue. The joke horoscopes really made me laugh. I hope you continue doing those." I've never had someone give me feedback on an issue before, so I'm caught off guard. 

"Oh, thank you!" I find it hard not to match her energy as she gives me a brilliant smile. 

"Also, I know this might be totally overstepping my bounds, but I'm a photographer, and I'd love to do a collaboration with you about people on campus." 

No one ever wants to work with me and I'm left speechless. Kate enters and sees us talking. "Hey, Mack!" Kate sounds weirdly more chipper than usual. "I see you met Lea."

"Yes." I say emphatically. 

"She invited us to a lowkey party at her place tonight. Do you want to come?"

"We're just gonna play some games, have a couple drinks, order some pizza. My roommate is making cookies." Lea looks at me expectantly.

"Sounds fun. I'd love to tag along."

"Great! We're gonna go chill for a bit, but we'll grab you before we leave." Kate says. "Penny is out, she's got a date. And Hannah went home for the weekend." I already knew that Hannah had left, but I smile and nod anyway. 

"We can talk about this idea more later." Lea tells me as she gets dragged away by Kate.

I don't even get to reply before Kate's door gets slammed shut. I hear them giggling and I make my way into my room. I lay down on my bed, pull out my laptop, and get working on one of my assignments. 

My phone lights up and I glance at it. It's Edwin again.

What are you up to tonight?

He asks as if I hadn't ignored his last texts entirely. 

Frustrated, I pick up my phone, trying to think of what to say. My fingers start moving, before my brain can fully catch up.

Edwin, I don't want to talk with you. I was serious when I said I wanted to break up. 

Because my fingers apparently have a mind of their own, I hit send before I can second guess it and slap my phone face down on the bed.

Unable to focus any longer, I watch Parks & Rec until Kate and Lea grab me to go to Lea's house. 

Our ride over is surprisingly fun, even though I feel like I'm third wheeling. Kate drives, but Lea puts me in the front with Kate, saying that I have longer legs than her. Kate plays Taylor Swift and Lea sings along loudly, but really well. I feel bad that Kate and I ruin it by singing along with her as well, but Lea doesn't seem to mind in the slightest. 

When we hop out of the car, the street already seems weirdly full. The house next to Lea's is obviously also hosting a party, because a guy walks up the steps carrying a keg. The guy that opens the door is clearly in baseball attire. Of course it's another baseball house.