Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Mending

"... Shikimori-san?!" I exclaimed when realized it was Shikimori-san who was in front of me. She is leaning her side against the shelves with her arms folded. Her pink hair strands are slightly blown in the wind, making quite an impressive sight for me. "I-I thought you would have a meeting with the PMC today."

"The meeting is at the end of the month... It's not there yet, you know..." She explained, while her index finger was twirling her hair.

"... Okay, cool, cool, good for you..." I responded and nodded repeatedly, but my brain could not process any proper word. "Anyway, I have to go now! Thanks for picking up my shoes, see you tomorrow!" I quickly told her, snatched the shoe that she was holding in her hand, and tried to run past her. I really want to avoid any possible conversation with her, but as soon as I pick up my pace, she quickly grabs my arm and pulls me back, making me almost slip backward.

"Oh, no! Where do you think you're going, mister?!" She asked me, almost sounding like a shout.

"H-Home?" I answered, and I could feel my face slightly burning. She is grabbing my arm so tight, that I can see her knuckles turning white. Having heard my answer, she shakes her head in disagreement.

"... You were acting very weird today, you know?" She said, lowering her head a bit, her voice was smaller. She still keeps her hold on my arm, but I can feel it has loosened up a little.

I look at her face once again. Just a few moments ago, she blocked the sunlight so I could not see her face clearly. However, now we are in the opposite direction, I can now see how it is. I can see her face contorted with anger with her curled lips. However, her blue eyes are having tints of sadness, like she is worried about something.

"This morning, you shouted at me when I was concerned about you..." She reminded me, then she continued. "T-Then in the whole class, you didn't talk or even say a single word to me, and there was no difference in the afternoon classes... Even when Inuzuka-san invited you for lunch with us, you even rejected it..."

"I... was having library duty at that time. Of course I couldn't join you guys." I explained, but she shook her head.

"I don't think that is true, Izumi-san..." She denied what I said. I start scratching my head, trying to find something to say so I can squeeze out of this gap. However, my brain cannot process any clever word to speak out.

"I-I mean, y-you also didn't talk to me a word today, did you-"

"I was waiting for you, you idiot!" She suddenly shouted at me, cutting me off from what I was saying. My heart is beating faster. Her grip on my arm gets tighter, it is so strong that I think my arm can break at any moment. However, after a few seconds, it loosens up a bit, allowing me to calm down from that sudden moment.

"... Waiting for me?" I asked, and she nodded her head as a confirmation, while turning her gaze away from me, avoiding my eye contact.

"For the last few days, I've been texting you to check if anything wrong with you." She answered. "Having not received any response or any word from you, I was... worried. I thought something might have happened to you, Izumi-san."

"Shikimori-san..." I tried to stop her, but she shook her head.

"When I saw you walking through the school gate this morning, I was... relieved. You don't know how happy I am. It's like all my worries were washed away..." She confessed. "But then... when I greeted you and... when you shouted at me like that, I was... shocked. I didn't even know what to do after that." She said, her voice getting smaller. However, she continued.