Chapter 7: Silent Heart

"Kamiya-san, wait for us!"

We are chasing down Kamiya-san through the hallway after she ran away from us when we had seen her. I might be wrong when I thought that she was heading to the sports club since there is no one else but us at school now. There are only the rapid sounds of our footsteps echoing through the empty hallway and the rusty sounds of swinging trees outside.

... Damn, this girl's fast!

We are trying to run as fast as we can, but our speed cannot be compared to hers, or at least it is only about mine. Shikimori-san is leading me because she needs to catch up with Kamiya-san as soon as she can. Meanwhile, I am running behind her, trying my best to catch up with them while keeping my breath, since my lung capacity may not be enough to keep me running for a long time. However, even how fast Shikimori-san is, she still occasionally stops for a few seconds to check on me.

"Are you still okay, Izumi-san?!" Shikimori frantically asked me, so I gave her a thumb up while gasping for air.

"I can... still keep going..." I told her while panting, with my hands on my knees as I gave myself a quick break. However, she does not believe what I said. She goes to my side and rubs my chest, while her other hand is on my back. She then lowers her head to look at me.

"Maybe this does not work out... Maybe we should-"

"No!" I cut her off. "It has to be today, Shikimori-san... I have... to do this..." I answered her while looking forward to the hallway.

"... Okay." Shikimori gave in and accepted what I said. She then lifts her head and looks in the same direction as me. "But still... we are falling quite behind her..."

Shikimori-san was right. With just a few seconds of stopping for air, we have already lost track of Kamiya-san. She has disappeared from our sight. The only thing in front of us is another hallway, as this is a T-path hallway on this floor. Kamiya-san might have taken a turn to one of the corners, which the best we can do right now is have a guess.

However, even with how difficult the current circumstance is, we have to keep going, even if we have to search for every corner of this school. As I have declared myself, it needs to be today. It has to be today...

"... Alright, let's keep going..."

When I felt that my heart and lung were ready for another run, I told Shikimori-san to continue our chase, which she hesitantly obliged and nodded her head. I rise from the ground and start running, although it is more like a fast walk, with Shikimori-san following me by my side with her hand still on my back and her other hand still wrapping around my chest. We both walk towards the cutting hallway and look at both corners.

"Shall we split up to check both ways?" I suggested to her.

"No way!" Shikimori immediately retorted. "What if something happens to you?! I'm not gonna be able to be there!" She explained with fear on her face.

Oh shoot, I almost forgot...

I have no choice but to find another solution. I start looking in both directions of the hallway, turning my head from left to right continuously. The left path leads to a series of classrooms, in which I thought that she might be hiding in one of them. However, I immediately brush that theory off my head. The right path is more significant, however. It is a short path, but it leads to a staircase to the upper floor. This reminds me of what happened this morning, and that thought makes me let out a weary sigh.

Please don't tell me I have to climb up those stairs...

"... What do you think, Shikimori-san?" I turned my head to her. "Do you have any suggestions?"