Chapter 9: Brother

Shikimori's POV

After a week of studying, Saturday has come. As it is now the afternoon, the weather is still hot and humid under the orange-dyed sky. Summer is getting closer, and that is one of its first signs. In hot weather like this, getting yourself engulfed in the cool air of the mall certainly is not a bad idea, is it? That's what I have decided to do this afternoon, like any other people, I believed that was a good way to do something, and to get myself busy apart from studying for the semester exam, because I also have a plan I need to do. It's not like I am way too into entertainment rather than revising and getting some lessons in my head...

... Or at least that's what I thought because unfortunately, I am also stuck with someone today...

"Why would you even come with me, brother?" I asked my brother, who was accompanying me in the mall as I groaned tiredly.

"Huh? Why did you even ask about that?" He replied. "Isn't it good to have some brother-sister bonding time sometimes?" He asked me back.

"B-But I didn't even... God...!"

I couldn't find a proper word to respond, so I looked up at the ceiling and groaned in dispirit once again. I start looking around me. It seems that I am not the only one with the idea, as the mall today is very crowded, with families and friends hanging out for different activities, or couples dating in this place, which makes me slightly jealous and hope that I can do that for some time soon with... well, you-know-who.

While my brother is walking side by side with me, I start to regret announcing to him that I was heading out for today. I should have lied that I would be going with Hachimitsu and Neko for a chance that he would not ask to go with me. And now, it looks like I am locked with him for the rest of the afternoon.

"Didn't I tell you that it was just going to be a small shopping? You don't have to worry about me, it's gonna be quick..." I told him.

"Fine, fine, whatever..." He tried to dodge the subject. "I just want to spend my free time with my little sister. Don't be bothered by me!"

Well, sir, of course, I am bothered! Can't you see how many people are looking at us, thinking that we are some sort of couple on a date?!

Even so, explaining to him any further might make my head burst, since he is not gonna listen, as always. Therefore, I try to sweep that away and just keep silent on my track, ignoring anything he may say next.

'Izumi-san, to be honest, if you want to have a brother, or your family wants to adopt a second child, I will kindly hand him to you without any condition...'

As that thought came to my head, I let out a sigh and didn't realize that I had reached the bookstore inside this shopping mall, the destination where I was heading to. As I said, I have a plan for today and this is the perfect time to carry it out.

"Okay, this is new..." I heard the voice of my brother. "I thought you were buying some clothes like last time."

Just stay calm, relax, and don't reply...

Without any response, I walk inside the bookstore and look around. Trying to pass my eyes off the customers and unnecessary book sections, I try to look for the correct shelves with the genre I need, which is written on the board hanging on the ceiling. And so, it does not take so long until I have found what I need.

The "Medical" section.

I immediately walk to the shelves for the books of that genre and take out my phone. After turning it on, I scroll through the screenshots I have taken until I find the screenshot of the book info I saved earlier. As the purpose of this shopping afternoon, this is the book I need to find.