Chapter 23: Curse Plague [Heather]

"How did you even manage to cause an illness to spread among the villagers?" I reached for his hand and he took it. Darius, Thea, and Keir were following behind us.

"I didn't." The kid responded. My eyebrow arched. "It's a curse, not an illness." What?

"How did you do such thing?" Is this kid a mage? He's so young. But, then again, prodigies exist.

"I asked the church for help." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Church?" What does a church do here? Why is the church involved?

"Yes. There's a church nearby that follow the God of Curses." The boy explained. I turned to Darius and Keir, they both had frightened and shock expressions. What's going on?

"Gods live for human's faith in them." I didn't know that. Is that how gods work in this world? "Gods would listen to human's prayers. In this world, there are plenty of gods, let it be righteous or evil. They could mess with humans, as well. Especially when they already have temples and churches."

This just got a lot more complicated that it has to be. What should I do? Should we attack the church or ask for their wisdom? But, the people there were just following their god's orders. Humans love to be in a high pedestal, after all. I'm sure there would be a lot of devoted disciples to a god who listens to people's cries.

What should we do?

In the game, it was mentioned that Bella had saved a village and was greatly rewarded by the crown prince. This was all shown from Heather's perspective. What a stalker!

But, right now, Bella is nowhere to be found. Has the plot changed, again? I was worried that I had to look at her awfully pretty face all day.

"Ah!" Everyone turned to me. "Wait a second, kid." I told the boy and he nodded. I gestured for Keir to come. "Keir, could you get my moon lamp? It's under my bed. Thank you."

"Of course, my lady." He, then, disappeared.

We all walked towards a house that seemed to be a house of the one who started the voting system about Ben's parents' deaths.

I got really curious about the rules of the gods in this world. The God back on Earth had only revealed Themselves once and that wasn't even their true form because the Bible said that He was only the Son. But, then, again, it was also Him; which made it even more confusing than it has to be.

"So, Darius. What happens to a god when he does not have enough followers?" I inquired.

"Die." He said, so casually, like it was something to be expected.

"They die, just like that?" I snapped my fingers and he nodded.

"First, they weaken. Then, their powers will slowly cease until it all runs out, so do they." He explained, thoroughly this time.

"So, without human's faith, they die. But, why only humans? What about the light and dark elves? The werewolves, the animal tribes? How about dragons, and well, you?" I counted with my fingers. There are so many races and species in this world, I could barely remember them all.

"We were born superior than humans. Most other races are. So, only humans can actually judge fairly, without any bias. At least, that's what I heard from the Sun God." Oh? That's true. Back on Earth, humans are on too of the food chain. I can never say the same in this world.

"I see."

"Here we are, lady." Ben said, pointing at the brown, wooden door.

I huffed out. "Alright. Shall we?"