9

Adi's POV

"Good morning Mr. Hernandez and Ms. Dela Costa." I smiled at the two annoying figures in front of me.

Why are they here in the company? It is still so early and they dare to display public affection at my turf.

"What are you doing here Denise; I thought you're busy swiping your phone so I didn't tell you to do some paperwork in the company." Do you need to be that blatant Dad? Akala ko ba magkakampi tayo.

"I remembered that I need to meet with the dean to fetch the papers containing the intern's vitae." I answered in a monotone voice. I'm really pissed but I shouldn't show it on my face.

"Ah, yes. How many interns do we have?"

"Around twelve, sir." The HR manager answered my Dad's question.

"I thought you said ten, Denise." Dad looked at me with intent gaze. Wala naman akong kasalanan, yung Dean my sabi.

"The dean added Mr. Hernandez and Ms. Dela Costa on the list."

"Since you're already here, go to my office and finish some work." He wants me to do some paperwork. I wanted to refuse my Dad's errand but changed my mind when I saw these slithering eyesores.

***

I've been working here in the office since morning. Dad's secretary just ordered food during lunch so I didn't have the liberty to walk around and have some breather.

Although, I'm partly thankful to Dad because I don't have to face such an awkward situation with Gio. I really don't want to interact with him right now. Everything is progressing hastily, I can't think straight. My heart keeps on clenching.

"Denise, it's already so late. You could go home, thanks for helping this old man." I snap out of my thoughts after hearing Dad's voice.

"If you really feel bad, give this little fellow some cash for dinner and nightlife." pabirong sabi ko.

"Fine. Here, take it and don't drink too much. Remember to have dinner first before drinking."

"Thanks, Dad. You're the best!" I ran off after getting Dad's approval.

Maybe, things would get better after a few shots?

***

I started driving aimlessly after I got out of the company. I don't really have a particular place to go. Talliah is still in her province and I don't want to interrupt her private time with Mr. It's Complicated.

Due to the lack of a profound destination I just opened my stereo and continuously followed the highway, I could just look at the electronic map when I got lost.

After maneuvering for almost an hour, I can feel the stiffness of my stomach. Luckily, I found a 24 hour convenience store or else I won't have a drink and dinner.

"So, nasaan na ako?" I mumbled to myself as I went inside the convenience store.

"I need ready to eat food and a few cans of beer." I said to the night shift cashier that is intently looking at me. His gaze made me a little conscious of myself; I bet I looked haggard because of working non-stop all day.

"You're Arcadia Denise Benson, right?" the man said while swiping up the supplies I bought.

"Yes? Uhm, sorry but I don't have a recollection of who you are."

"Ano ka ba, ayos lang sa dami ng taong nakakasalamuha mo hindi mo talaga matatandaan lahat. Block mate mo ako nung second year, you helped me when I was about to be hit by a reckless race car driver." Ah, that year I don't want to remember it at all.

"So, how are you doing now? Same university ka pa rin ba nag-aaral?" It's kind of rude to brush him off.

"Yes. Uhm, hindi naman sa nanghihimasok ako pero ayos ka lang ba? Kung iinom ka I suggest you drink on the benches outside o kaya sa malapit na park d'yan sa may high school." High school? Bakit parang ang layo ng narating ko.

"Thanks for worrying." I gave him a smile to tell that everything's still fine.

I looked around after going out of the store and saw some familiar establishments. My breath starts to get ragged together with the continuous pounding of my chest. I knew this place like the back of my hand. It's been years since I last came back to this area. Pinilit kong hindi mapadpad sa lugar kung saan nabuo ang matatamis na kahapon. Yet, fate is really playing tricks with me. I was led back here after that ridiculous encounter.

It's almost ten o'clock in the evening so the night guard won't allow me to enter the school premises.

If I remember correctly, there is a spot at the back of the school that would allow a student to climb through the walls. Gio showed me this place when he got bored listening to lectures and wanted to cut classes, a really bad influence. Students should always be good and stay at school, listening to lectures but I can't ignore him at all. Ayoko na mag-isa siyang mahuhuli at papagalitan kaya't mabuti nang samahan ko pa rin siya.

After a few minutes, I successfully entered the school grounds and started to head to our little territory during high school days. We never intended to monopolize the rooftop but after months of hanging out there it became our turf then we realized that the students don't usually go up.

I sat at the corner, opened a can while staring at the starry sky. So cold but it's nothing compared to the chillness lingering in my heart. Mixed emotions started to resurface together with the memories that accompanied me for years as I yearned for his warmth. Warmth that would never be mine kasi may iba na siyang pinagbibigyan. May iba na siyang inaalagaan. May iba na nginingitian.

Would I be selfish to ask for some kasi alam kong hindi pa ko handa sa salitang 'iba'?

Mali ata ako ng desisyon sa buhay. Why did I even wait, wala naman siyang sinabi na hintayin ko siya. Ako lang naman 'tong tanga at umaasang babalik pa siya. Bumalik nga siya kaso may kasama namang 'Danica'.

Gio, wala na ba talaga? Hindi pa nga nagsisimula, tinatapos mo na agad.

I could feel droplets of water silently streaming down my cheeks, as I continuously drank the beer I brought with me. I didn't really look at my phone because Dad allowed me to have the so-called 'night life'.

I started to feel a little hot and stuffy after a few more sips so I decided to stand up and lean on the concrete railings. This is what we call life; I could feel a little ache in my legs after sitting for so long. My neck feels stiff too. Ang hapdi na rin ng mata ko, should I go home or stay at the nearest hotel? Baka hindi na ko makalabas kapag uminom pa ako ng kaunti.

"ADI!"

"Hmm? Ako yun, bakit?"

"Are you sick? Namumu- What the hell! Bakit ka umiinom? May nang-away ba sa'yo?

"I'm perfectly fine!"

"Manong guard, sorry kung nag-trespass ako ah. You see ang sakit dito oh." I said to the guard while pointing at the location of my heart.

"Feeling ko binaril ako, pero wala namang butas tapos tumitibok pa siya. Hawakan mo dali, tumitibok pa pero bakit ganun, Manong. Bakit ang sakit?" lalong humapdi yung mata ko nung magsimula na namang tumulo ang mga luha.

"Dadalhin na ba kita sa ospital? Baka signs yan na aatakihin ka na sa puso."

"In fairness, may point ka Kuya pero hindi alam ko kung bakit masakit."

"Bakit mo pa ako tinatanong alam mo pala." Akala nung guard, hindi ko siya narinig pero narinig ko siya. Ang attitude parang si Gio.

"Kuya."

"Oh?"

"Thank you."

"Mamamatay ka na ba? Bakit nagkaganyan ka bigla?"

"Hindi. Iba sasabihin ko, ano yung ano. Ano nga yung sasabihin ko nakalimutan ko na."

"Lasing ka na, iuuwi na lang kita." My eyes widened with what the guard said, it's so dark I can't see his face clearly. I hugged myself in order to guard my chastity.

"You could just drop me by in the police station if you want. Hindi ako sasama sa bahay mo."

"Sino ba may sabi sa'yo dun tayo sa bahay ko. Bakit gusto mo ba?"