12

Adi's POV

That stupid couple is really getting on my nerves! Imagine I had a hard time falling asleep because of what they did.

—FLASHBACK—

[The night after bumping into Danica at the company's parking lot.]

I want to drive away with you

I want your complications too

I want your dreary Mondays

Wrap your arms around me, baby boy~

The song entitled Paper rings by Taylor swift has become one of my favorite songs. I just finished a bath before finally turning in for the day when someone called me.

Gio? What does he need? Is it about the presentation tomorrow?

Let's just be professional because it's probably about work. I was about to say 'hello' when I heard a disgusting conversation.

"Gio~ Are you done?" It's Danica.

"Just stay still. I'm still searching for it." What is this all about!

Minutes had passed, I waited for him to answer the phone out of courtesy but nothing came so I decided to end the call when I heard another conversion though I wish I never heard that.

"Ah~ Gio~ be gentle~"

"I'm trying my best! Huwag mo ko sabunutan."

"Sorry. I can't help it. It hurts~"

I threw my phone due to excessive shock and disgust.

—END OF FLASHBACK—

Hah! This is insane. I didn't get enough sleep because of what happened and now I need to stay longer after work to finish another bunch of paperwork.

No, Adi! Wake up. Even if you like Gio, you need to move forward. He's just a thing from the past. A sentiment you desperately hold unto without assurance. The truth is clear as day now, you can't be self-indulgent now.

I just continued browsing the books in this book café, hoping to find the materials I need to support the business proposals and reports I'm working on when I stumbled upon some... interesting books?

Winning You Over by Marahuyo

Please, Be my Ladder by Marahuyo

Ties and Lies by Marahuyo

Missing Half by Marahuyo

Hymns of the Past by Marahuyo

What's up with these books? Nananadya ba sila? It was all written by the same author. Sign na ba 'to... for what? To give up and let our story be a hymn of the past or to win him over?

Even these books are not siding with me, forget it and just make Dad proud.

I focus my attention on the laptop and books in front of me. The waiter asks me if I need anything from time to time then they'll bring me a cup of coffee or a serving of cheesecake depending on my requests. This is a café where you need to go to the counter for placing orders but the owner is so kind that's why there are some instances where they give special care and attention to their customers.

A cup of coffee was placed again on my table so I handed my card to the waiter without looking at him. My left hand was raised for a few seconds before he finally took it and left.

After a short while, a serving of chocolate cake and milk is placed on my table. I frowned a little and decided to look at the waiter but I was thunderstruck with who I saw in front of me.

"Salamat sa libre." He smiled and handed over my card.

I kept my comments within myself and just focused on the work in front of me. Just shut your mouth Adi and don't lash out.

"Hey! Are you mute? Bakit hindi ka nagsasalita?" he said calmly. Why is he extra talkative today? No, just hold it in. He'll go away after you ignored him just like how you always do in the past but this time is different. Hindi ka na susunod sa likod niya just to coax him.

"Arcadia. Iniiwasan mo ba ako?" Hold it in, Adi.

"I greeted you a while ago but you just walked past me." Endure.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Did I piss you off?"

"Miss Benson." I looked at his serene expression. It's just a façade; If one would look closely, they could see that he's pissed off. Just a little push and he'll go away.

"Maingay." I said while looking at his eyes but I averted my gaze first and continued what I'm doing.

I didn't hear his annoying questions again so I could finish up looking for the informations I needed. Good thing at umalis na siya, kaunti na lang at masisigawan ko na siya kanina.

I stretched out my arms and back because it turned stiff after crouching for an hour. Yet, to my surprise, I saw Gio taking a nap from across my seat on the same table. He didn't leave, how annoying.

I am about to leave the table to put back the books I got and get another set when he woke up.

"Tapos ka na? Uuwi na tayo?" He said while rubbing his eyes. Don't act cute. I won't fall for it.

"Istorbo." This is for the best.

"Ha?" I looked at his dumb-founded face.

"Iniistorbo mo ko." I tried to look as cold as I could just to shoo him away.

Pain is reflected in his eyes but I'm already determined to push him away. You're too late, nakapag desisyon na ko.

I turned my back and headed for the shelves. He's already gone when I get back to my work table.

I'm sorry, Gio. This is for the best. It's better to cut the lingering unnecessary affection when you already have someone beside you. We can't even retain our relationship like before because of what I wrote in the paper ring I gave you five years ago.

Nabasa mo kaya? Nabasa mo siguro but you certainly didn't feel the same way because of what situation we are in right now.

I'm really sorry but I think I can't marry you now with paper rings even if I am willing to.