Chapter 3 - can't help what you hear

After another hour of talking to the gaang without Zuko, Sokka decided to go to bed. He quietly grabbed his pyjamas and tiptoe into the bathroom. Once he was ready he walked over to his bed using his phone as a torch.
"Ow...my eyes that's bright" Zuko was awake.
"I am so sorry, I thought you were asleep, why aren't you asleep?"
Sokka gussed for himself and quickly went to sit beside Zuko. His breathing was irregular and he was sweating. "I had a nightmare, about my fath- Ozai, I have them all the time you dont need to worry." Zuko said refusing to make eye contact with sokka.
"Of course I'm going to worry your my best friend!"
Sokka lay down so that he could hug Zuko, after a while Zuko fell asleep in Sokkas arms. Sokkas mind was racing he had so much to process Zuko was gay? Why hadn't Zuko told me? I guess the same reason I diddnt tell him. I'm out to Toph and Zuko....wow I'm out to Toph and Zuko and I might have a chance with Zuko, who am I kidding he wold never like me back. I'll have to tell the others at some point - I know Aang would be supportive and if I have told him he can talk sense into the girls if they don't accept me... what do I mean if - I'm a fag why would they accept me?
Wait - I'm still cuddling Zuko, he's asleep. Should I move? I might wake him...and I don't want to move, I hope he's ok after opening up to me, that can't have been easy - how could Ozai kick his own son out - plus Zuko was so perfect how could anyone not want him around. Slowly, still lost in thought Sokka fell asleep with Zuko in his arms.

Zuko woke up slowly but it wasn't long until he realised he was in Sokkas arms, he thought that he should probably move but it was so comfortable, he never wanted to move.
Zuko then realised that he hadn't had any nightmares when Sokka was with him, he would usually wake up about five times in the night because of his nightmares but tonight he slept the entire time he was with Sokka. It was the same the night before- no nightmares - was sharing with Sokka. Before Sokka was with him last night he had had nightmares. Was Sokka able to stop his nightmares? Sokka had always been very good at comforting him but Zuko never dreamed of his nightmares lessening or, what seemed to be happening, stoping...
Zuko felt Sokka stir and he instantly pretended to be asleep, nuzzling his head into Sokkas bare chest.
As Sokka woke up he remembered he night before. He quickly let go of Zuko and hurried through to the kitchen. Just as he had feared Toph was there making breakfast. "Hey Sokkaaaaa, hows your boyfriend?"Toph laughed as soon as Sokka entered the room.
"Hey, He's not my boyfriend and stop spying on us!"
"I can't help what I see, sorry sokka" Toph laughed.
"Toph can I ask you something?" Sokka Asked growing more serious.
"Sure, anything" replied Toph
"You know how you knew that I liked Zuko?"
"Yea..."

Zuko was about to walk in to the kitchen when he heard Sokka ask Toph in a serious if he could ask her something, Zuko panicked assuming he was about to be outed. "You know how you knew I liked Zuko?" Zuko gasped - Sokka liked him? He knew he shouldn't but he had to listen on. He turned his body to the side so that his ear as close to the kitchen and pressed his back against the wall and tried not to move in the hope that his friends would not see him.
"Do you know if Zuko likes me back?" Zuko diddnt know what to think- Sokka liked him, and cared enough to want to know if he liked him back. Zuko was starting to get worried - zuko had no idea how to be in a relationship and it would be so much more complicated for him, what if Toph did know, with Zuko now knowing that Sokka liked him back, Zuko wanted to tell Sokka himself that he liked him.
"It's not my place to tell you - you'll have to find that out for yourself"
Zuko breathed out - he wasn't quite ready for Sokka to know.
Suddenly Zuko heard Sokka telling Toph that he was going to go on an early morning walk to clear his head and that he would be back home soon.
As soon as Sokka had left Zuko hurried into the kitchen and thanked Toph for not telling Sokka.
"Wait so you can hear everything that happens in our room?" Asked Zuko remembering his conversation with Sokka last night.
"Yea - I'm sorry I think I overheard a conversation with Sokka that you wanted to keep private..."
Zuko looked annoyed but he knew Toph wasn't purposefully listening. "It's not your fault, you can't help what you hear"
"I'm sorry about your da- Ozai and I know how you feel." Toph felt weird, she never opened up to anyone - other than once Sokka and one time Aang.
"How would yo know what it's like to be permanently scared and thrown out of the house because your gay?" Zuko knew he sounded rude but he diddnt care he hated it when people tried to empathise if they had never been through any of the same stuff as him.
"I know I wasn't badly burnt or anything but do you know why I don't see my parents anymore?"
"No" replied Zuko suddenly intrigued. Toph  - just like Zuko, never discussed her home life.
"I told my parents that I was a- ahh why is this so hard to tell you," Toph took a deep breath telling herself that Zuko wouldn't care and that she was doing this to help Zuko. "I told my parents that I was" Zuko put his hand on tophs shoulder both encouragingly and comfortingly.

⚠️tw homophobia⚠️

"I told them I was a lesbian and they basically just denied it and for the next few years they made sure to make it clear to me that they were homophobic, permanently making homophobic jokes or comments When I was around. I finally got fed up and decided to confront them, I told them that I was still gay and that that was never going to change. They said that they would not have a fag for a daughter and that I-I could choose to go to conversion therapy or that I could get out of their house. I chose leave a-and I haven't seen them since."

⚠️ end of tw

Zuko hugged Toph not knowing what to say as he had never seen her be that emotional before. Toph sprang away from Zuko and started wiping her eyes as Aang walked in. Aang obviously realised his friend had been crying so he ran over to comfort Toph. "What happened, you ok?" Aang asked concerned.
"I'm fine" replied Toph getting up and walking towards the door. Just before he left she stopped and smiled "Aang, I told him"
Aang beamed at Toph "I'm so happ-" Toph shut the door and walked away.
Aang, still beaming out of happiness for his friend turned to Zuko when he realised his breathing had become shaky. "I-I you know I am to..."Zuko was shocked at the words coming out of his mouth - was he really telling Aang this.
"Cool - I dont mind, love is love"Aang said smiling at Zuko as he got up to make breakfast.
Zuko was so great full for his friends, he knew deep down they there was some stuff he could ever share with them but he was grateful for their support at that time. He smiled and walked into the living room.

~~~~~

Wow 3 updates in a row!

Hope you liked it though - I will be focusing on zukka more in the next chapters.

Don't forget to vote!

Chapter 3

Tophs story

Words 1357