Chapter 4 - was this really happening

Sokkas POV

I needed to clear my head, there was so much that had happened since last night. It had overall ended with me liking Zuko more. I walked out of the back door and into the woods behind our house. I have always found the woods a great place to think and very calming even if they weren't what I was used to back in the South Pole.

I always knew Ozai was a dick but I never thought he could do something like that to his own son - just for his sexually. It makes me more scared to be openly gay. I had always wondered how Zuko got his scar - but now I wasn't so sure I was happy with knowing. Sure I was so happy that Zuko had finally opened up to me but his story had made me feel so sad and angry. I feel like running to Ozais house and telling him what I thought about him.
I couldn't do that - him being one of the most powerful fire benders in the world.

I decided one thing I could do for Zuko though is be there for him. I took my phone out of my pocket and sent him a message.

End Sokkas POV

Hey Zuko - do you wanna get breakfast at the coffee shop across the street from the library?

Sokka hesitated over the send button worrying if it would sound like a date. He was ninety nine percent sure that Zuko didn't like him back - if he did wouldn't Toph have just told him yes - Zuko did like him back? Plus Sokka wasn't about to risk his perfect friendship with Zuko for a tiny chance he might like him.

Zukos POV

This was so awkward - he had just come out to Aang and now they were sitting at the dining table while Aang was eating breakfast (I wasn't really hungry) in a terribly awkward silence. I was really hoping for Katara or Suki to come in and break the silence. Suddenly my phone vibrated. It was a message from Sokka, asking if I wanted to go get breakfast.
"What are you doing?" Asked Aang, clearly bored and wanting some conversation. He wouldn't usually be that interested in my messages.
"Oh - I um just got a message from Sokka, I'm going to get breakfast with him in the coffee shop across from the library in 5 minutes."
"Like as a a date?"
"No no no, I don't think so. It's more of a friends thing..."
"Shureee..."
"No no it is" I sighed "does this sound like a date?" I asked him, reading the message out loud to him - Sokka would never ask me out would he?
"It could be - but I don't think so. The coffee shop isn't exactly some romantic first date location, plus Sokka is someone who would go all out. Remember his and Sukis first date?"
"Yea" I flinched, not liking to think of Sokka with anyone else. I know it sounds selfish- I just really like him.

Time skip to Sokka arriving at the coffee shop

Sokkas POV

Should I go in and get a table or wait outside for Zuko? I'm overthinking this- its not even a date, just 2 friends getting breakfast.

I didn't need to worry about where to wait because I could see Zuko coming round the corner he was wearing I big oversized hoodie which was odd for such a warm day but my attention was quickly shifted. He smiled and waved over at me. My social awkwardness just happened— and I nodded at him stiffly and walked into the tea shop. Usually with Zuko I would choose to go to the jasmine dragon but I wanted somewhere a bit more private, I didn't want to be interrupted during this conversation.

I was about to try and talk to him about our conversation last night but I was cut off by something completely unexpected from Zuko.

End of Sokkas POV

"Sokka I-..... I heard your conversation with Toph this morning... do you like me?..." Zuko took a deep breath in and out, happy that he had finally got that weight off his shoulders.

There was silence as Sokka processed the words that had just come out of Zukos mouth. He had heard the conversation he had with Toph - the one about him liking Zuko- the one where he wanted to know if Zuko liked him back - it was now clear that Zuko didn't like this back. Oh no... he heard the conversation — HE HEARD THE CONVERSATION! Sokka panicked he was sure that this was the end of their friendship.. He didn't know what to do as tears were starting to well up in his bright blue eyes.

He stood up. He knew this wasn't the best reaction but he had no idea what else was he supposed to do. Sokka ran out of the shop. He hadn't ordered or drank anything in the shop. They had been there for less than 5 minutes and he was already running out of the shop holding back tears. He didn't even think to look back. If he did he would have seen that Zuko was running after him. Zuko had planned to tell Sokka he liked him. He was supposed to be hugging him now , both of them happy they had fellings for each other but Zuko had to mess it up. Of corse he blamed it on himself - Zuko blames everything on himself, that's just his personality. He ran after Sokka trying to follow him even though Sokka was significantly faster than Zuko and zuko could not and should not be running. he took a break to take of his hoodie and catch his breath before Finally caching up to Sokka. He had collapsed behind a tree with is head in his hands. He wasn't crying - he diddnt really know how exactly he felt he just knew that he felt like an idiot and didn't want to talk to Zuko any time soon.

"Hey — Sokka," Zuko panted, out of breath. He had taken his hoodie off and was bent over out of breath. "I — we need to talk..you didn't let me finish"
Whats was the point, Sokka already knew that there was no way Zuko liked him back was there? What on earth would Zuko finishing his sentence change? There was no point...
"Piss off I don't want to listen to you rejecting me"
"Sokka I don't—" started Zuko
"Don't like me back, I am aware of that and I-"
Zuko knelt down to Sokkas level and froze in shock. Was this really happening?

~~~~~

What's happening?
Don't forget to vote!
Updates are fast, I am just editing chapters fro. The previous book, once I get up to date they will be slower sorry

Chapter 4

Do You Like Me?

Words 1145