Chapter 17 | The Detachment Room

Keywords:

Git: Juice made from different fruits.
Krid: A white person.
Fatoo: Come.
Min: A silk dress that is sewn to hold the body with ropes at the top and accompanied with a long, flow bottom.
Ba: Endearment for older brother.
Broo: national anthem.
Swears kiss: another way of saying "I promise"

Sanusi

I adjusted my white button up shirt and smiled at Najma through the mirror. She doesn't see me looking as she's engrossed in her work. We overslept this morning and forgot we had a lot to take care of today.

Surayya didn't come back home the previous night and I didn't send guards to look for her. For two reasons; she could hold her own and was also very clever so I knew she wouldn't go ravaging around the city.

If anything, I know she's sleeping somewhere safe but that's asides the point that I'm angry at her for choosing to go with that krid rather than her family. As usual, Najma didn't understand. So I didn't express my distaste to her. Rather, I let my best friend suffer with rants as we spent hours sipping on some git.

"Fatoo," I turn to Najma who stops writing and looks at me but remains seated "I'll be busy so don't wait for me tonight."

"I will not be home either." she continues writing.

"Where will you be?"

"Oof," she waves her hand dismissively with a smirk on her face "You almost sound jealous."

"I just want to know where my wife will be."

"Or you want to know when you can tear my legs open again." She deadpanned.

"What?" I chuckle lowly, turning to the door "Your mind will never be pure." I shrug "I just care for my wife."

"If you say so my lord."

It was starting to be obvious I cared less for her than what she had to offer to me whenever I pleased so she preferred to do anything but be with me unless, she really did need my services.

Life was comfortable with Najma but to be happier, I knew I needed someone who was a graduate in studying my personality as I am sure will be the same for her.

I wink and exit the door humming down to the detachment room where I was to witness the punishment of the ill-fated priest that was sent to Kindo from Disa.

People shifted away as I walked down to the middle of the ancient room. Bala shook my hand and hugged me, whispering "I hope you are better today." into my ears.

I nod and moved to grab a knife off a wooden table holding other torture items then something makes me stop to look at Bala again. I raise the knife to him and say "Be my guest."

"Ohhh," he roars excitedly but refuses the knife and opts for a scalpel "I need something more than that."

"Proceed," I drop the knife back "... friend."

"No mercy!" The few audience consisting of men who work closely with Bala chant.

"No mercy!"

"No mercy!"

"No mercy!"

"Bala." I pass him the scalpel and he rolls his sleeves to do the work while I move to my chair at the back of the room to watch the show with crossed legs and a glass of water that was brought for me just now.

"I'm ready." He sits on a chair that's been leveled with the table he's supposed to cut the fingers on and a guard straightens the arms of the priest on it.