The Fate's Lesson - Part 5

"Zindagi Khafa Khafa Aur Tum
Dil Lagane Ki Baat Karte Ho,

Aankh Hain Bhari Bhari Aur Tum
Muskurane Ki Baat Karte Ho..."

Her words affected him. Her silence tormented. But her grief?

Her grief was a knife stabbed repeatedly into his chest with a heart left to bleed.

Abhimanyu walked out of the door.

"Haar maan li na?"

Abhi heard a voice he could recognize among billions. He swiftly turned around, only to come face to face with a fake smile on Akshara's face. He observed her tired features wanting to give up, but her eyes looked like they were searching for some hope.

"Lagta hai... tumhare paas... mere liye..." Akshara choked on her words, "ab sawal bhi nahi rahe." Abhi watched as she chuckled dryly and lowered her gaze, "Achha hai, khel khatam. Ab tum... apne raaste, main..." she cleared her throat and pried her eyes away.

"Tum kya?"

"Ap-apne raaste." She forced a smile.

"Right, sahi kaha." Abhimanyu gritted his teeth and nodded his head. "Apne apne raaste... apni apni manzil..." He sniffed his tears away, "Toh phir jab meri manzil maut thi," He grasped Akshara's left hand and pulled up her sleeve, "mujhe bata sakti ho aag mein kood kar meri jaan kyun bachayi tumne?"

Akshara stared in horror at him, and slowly turned her head to see the burn mark on her elbow. Abhi's eyes were filled with tears, but the fury he carried in those orbs dropped her heart to her stomach. Akshara had lied to him every time she rejected his advancements and now, Abhimanyu wanted answers.

"Bolo Akshara?" He raised her arm and flashed the burnt mark, "Jaa raha tha na apne raaste, ho jaati na khatam kahani? Kyun aayi tum mere peeche? Apne kaam se kaam nahi rakh sakti thi? Baaki logon ki tarha bahar kyun nahi ruk gayi? Kyun apni jaan pe khelne chali aayi andar? Tell me damnit!" he shook her hard.

"Mm-main..." Akshara lowered her gaze, "main nahi aayi thi... tumhare peeche... Aru-"

"Oh shut up!" Abhi scrunched his nose in disgust, "Thak gaya hoon tumhare munh se jhoot sunte-sunte. Tumse pehle... mera rishta tumhari aawaz se juda tha." His voice cracked, "Un mein woh sachchayi hai jo tumhare dil ka haal mujhe batati hai." He pointed to her heart, "Jo aaj suna maine, woh hai tumhara sach."

Akshara hung her head as a sob escaped her throat, adding salt to his wounded heart. Abhi cupped her face tenderly.

"Itne... itne samay se tumhare dil ki aawaz hi toh sunna chahta tha Akshu, tumhara jhoot nahi. Dekh pa rahi ho meri bebasi?" He gritted his teeth as tears rolled down his eyes, "Main sab jaan kar, tumhare dil ka haal samajh kar bhi... kuch nahi kar sakta. Tumhari marzi ke khilaf kuch nahi karunga main."

"Abhi..." Akshara whimpered, "Please, I... I can ex-explain..."

"Tum... tum kya keh rahi thi? Tum nahi aayi mere peeche... mujhe bachane," Abhimanyu nodded, took a step back and put his hands in his pockets, "agli baar jhoot zara safayi se bolna."

Abhimanyu fished out the silver bracelet from his pocket and thrusted in her hands.

"Khud toh girti-padti rehti ho, aur peeche mere liye yeh bhi chhod jaati ho." Abhi rubbed his palms over his eyes and nodded, "Neil... shayad sahi kehta hai. Iss pyaar mein mere paas ek aisi ladki ko khone ka darr hai jo meri hona hi nahi chahti."