Chapter 10

┏━━━༻☆༺━━━┓

𝚁𝚎𝚗

┗━━━༻☆༺━━━┛

𝘚𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 19𝘵𝘩, 𝘛𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘔𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨

"'Go get some sleep', they say," Ren mimicked his leader's voice. "'I'll decide how you can atone for your mistakes and inform you in the morning', they say. It's morning, so now what?" He groaned. Waiting was as much fun as watching people live unencumbered.

The sniper decided to check on Trixcia's new 'pet' and see how he was holding up. After all, the florist had been here for more than twenty-four hours. Ren wended his way to the interrogation room, only to see that Trixcia had beat him to it.

"I knew I'd find you here. So, who liked who first?"

Ren was taken aback, and his brow furrowed. "What are you going on about?"

"You and that Lennox guy, what else?"

Was she insinuating that he and the florist had something going on between them, romantically? Ren tried not to throw up in his mouth. "I can't even imagine it..."

Trixcia regarded him sceptically. "So, you two aren't a thing? Huh, I could've sworn you came here just for him."

Ren laughed nervously. "No, I uh—came here to see if you heard anything from Mitsan."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, Ren. Luckily, I came to fetch you." She dragged Ren by his arm to the Komainu statue, like their previous exchange had never happened.

Needless to say, Mitsan was already there. They were in the hollow so often that Ren wondered if they ever left.

"Ren! Just who I wanted to see on this fine morning."

He was relieved to see them in a good mood. Maybe their exchange wouldn't be so bad after all. "Uh, good morning to you too, Sir."

"Wait, you still call Minyaski 'Sir'?" Trixcia bowled over in laughter. "For someone who's supposedly so high up, you should at least be on a last-name basis. What, you don't call them your parent? After this long?"

Ren grimaced, his gaze flitting from Trixcia to his boss. "No, Trix. Mitsan's still our employer, above all else."

Even still, he felt privileged to call them 'Sir'. Everyone else could only reference Mitsan with they/them pronouns. It showed that they had finally become comfortable with stepping into a father-like role toward Ren.

In the background, Mitsan was watching, an amused expression on their face. "As much as I enjoy this, apparently Trixcia here has forgotten she's on thin ice." Their focus switched to Ren. "Not to mention her partner in crime, who's on even thinner ice. So, I'd highly suggest you both be on your best behaviour from now on. Especially when embarking on your new assignments. Speaking of, here they are, you two."

Mitsan handed out two familiar coal-coloured envelopes and waved Trixcia away. "I'll brief you later, Trix. Make sure that Mr. Kendrick-Carson is presentable by this afternoon."

After Trixcia exited the room, an awkward silence descended.

"So... what about me, Sir?"

"You? I have something special planned for you, Ren. A way to clear your name completely. And, might I add, earn you some new skills."

"Really?" He was amazed by their offer. Clear his name completely? It sounded too good to be true. But Mitsan always delivered on their promises.

"Yes. For this mission, you'll assume a new identity and infiltrate Mr. Kendrick-Carson's home under the pretence of having rescued him from the Syndicate's clutches. Then you're going to kill every last one of his family members. Including him."