Chapter 24

┏━━━༻✿༺━━━┓

𝙻𝚎𝚗𝚗𝚘𝚡

┗━━━༻✿༺━━━┛

𝘕𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 18𝘵𝘩, 𝘔𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘕𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

"Ren, what in the world happened to Chase?"

Ren took a deep breath, moving away to head for the kitchen. "Chase wouldn't say much. I came in and found him like this. Looks as if a couple of kids at his school came at him during gym, or whatever they do to stay active in those bunkers."

"What?" Lennox rushed to follow him; his brows furrowed in a way that made his appearance menacing. Almost. "Children did that?"

Children were always meaner at that age, but to have the injuries that Chase did? It was concerning at the very least.

Ren shrugged. "What can I say? The athletic gene obviously doesn't run in your family. You can barely make it up the stairs without getting winded."

Lennox made an affronted sound, but his smart comments were silenced by his concern. "Are you sure? I mean... I've never seen him like that. He looked as if he was about to faint."

The florist glanced over his shoulder at the stairs, where Chase had disappeared with Ren's help. He couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to his brother's injuries than a simple brawl. Especially if Ren was involved. 

It was one thing for Chase to claim it so, and another for Ren to oh-so suspiciously cover for him. Lennox had seen the ill-fitting shirt, the bruises, and the limp in Chase's walk. He had heard the fear and pain that laced his every breath, the hesitation that wormed its way into every word he uttered. He knew his brother wasn't the most athletic or popular kid, but he also knew he was smart and resourceful. After all, Lennox had taught him to be so. Still, he worried that Chase had gotten involved in something dangerous or illegal. 

Something that Ren was deliberately hiding from the florist.

Rolling his eyes, Ren turned to him. "Please, you look worse after a day at the shop."

Lennox clenched his fists, feeling a surge of anger and frustration. He couldn't believe how insensitive and irresponsible Ren was being. Lennox wanted to punch him, to shake him, to make him see sense. He wanted to make him feel something, anything. Anything other than his damned sarcasm. The florist wanted to make him care so badly that he would hurt Ren's feelings to do it.

"How can you be so damn flippant, Ren?" Lennox snapped, his voice rising. "This is not a laughing matter. This is my brother we're talking about. My brother, who's lying upstairs, injured and alone, and you don't even have the decency to tell me what the hell happened to him."

"Lennox, wait. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Ren started, reaching out for his hand.

The florist watched the emotions in Ren's eyes shift. Lennox entertained the idea that he had been too harsh on him, but he was done playing Ren's games. When it came to Chase, he would take no chances.

"Ren, if there's something you or Chase are hiding from me, you can tell me. I just want to help Chase. He's my brother, after all," he said, trying to sound calm and sincere.

Ren sighed, avoiding Lennox's gaze.

There was something he wasn't saying, and that fact was no secret to either of them.

"Look, Lennox, I know you're concerned. And I appreciate it, I really do. I know Chase does too. But trust me, he's fine. He just needs some time and space to heal. He'll tell you everything when he's ready. Until then, you have to let it go." Ren said, attempting to end the conversation.