A New Year and A New Teacher

"Morning, everyone!" Professor Sprout our Herbology teacher greeted, but no one was paying attention. Much to busy chatting excitedly. She clicked a cup a few times and tried again. "Good morning, everyone!" She yelled louder.

    "Good morning, Professor Sprout." We all greeted her back.

    "Welcome to Greenhouse three, second years. Now, gather round, everyone." She gestured towards the greenhouse table that was filled with plants and pots. Hermione and I gladly stepped forward. Harry and Ron were opposite us on the other side of the table. "Today, we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?"

Both Hermione and I's hands shot into the air.

    "Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor Sprout called on Hermione. She huffed happily next to me and I chuckled.

    "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state." She stated proudly, and Sprout nodded for her to go on. "It's also quite quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

    "Excellent. 10 points to Gryffindor." Professor Sprout announced. All the Gryffindor's in the room beamed at one another. "Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours. Which is why I've given each of you a set of earmuffs fro auditory protection. So could you please put them on right away? Quickly. Flaps tight down, and watch me closely."

I put the earmuffs on myself making sure they were tight and watched Professor Sprout.

    "You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot!" The Mandrake began screaming the moment it left the soil. I placed my hands over my ears even with the earmuffs it was still ear piercing. "Got it? And now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to help keep him warm."

The scream got even more high pitched. Neville looked woozy as he swayed back and forth. He suddenly feel to the floor and laid there. Professor Sprout sighed.

    "Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muff's."

    "No, ma'am. He's just fainted." Seamus's explained after examining him.

    "Yes, well... Just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pot's to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up!" She instructed.

As she said pull, the entire class pulled their Mandrake's out of their pots at once. I pulled and cringed slightly as the room filled with screams. Ron looked throughly repulsed by his and we made eye contact. I tossed my hand over my mouth and giggled. He kept making funny faces and I kept giggling. Malfoy decided next to me it would be funny to try and stick his finger in the baby Mandrake's mouth. I raised my brow as he grinned. The little creature clamped down on his glove and he struggled to pull away. I chuckled and shook my head.

When I looked back up, Ron seemed to be scowling at something, until we made eye contact again. He quickly looked away from me and began to look anywhere else but at me. I tilted my head slightly in confusion by started to repot my Mandrake anyways. After Herbology, it was lunch time in the Great Hall. Ron had grabbed a roll of scotch tape from one of the class rooms and began trying to mend his wand. He wrapped it over and over again and looked at his poor handy work.

    "Say it." He breathed out. "I'm doomed."

    "You're doomed." Harry and I agreed with him.

    "Hiya, Harry. Hiya, Olivia." A young boy walked over to us. We'd seen his face, but hadn't formally been introduced. He brought up a large camera and it flash in our faces. "I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too." He said excitedly.