The Dueling Club

News had been all over school now for a couple of days about Professor Lockhart starting up a dueling club. Of course, every student was interested. Harry and I were enthralled by the idea. Though, not totally happy about Lockhart being the teacher in charge. My liking for the man had dwindled dramatically after taking away the bones in my leg and all. But nonetheless students piled into the Great Hall. A great long table had been placed in the center of the room with a long cloth covered in Moon phases. Gilderoy entered the room and walked up onto the table.

    "Gather round! Gather round. Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent." He grinned widely. "In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club. To train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details see my published works."

He tossed his cloak out into the crowd of students, mostly girls in that corner, who all gasped. Angelina Johnson was actually the one who caught it.

    "Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape." Lockhart announced proudly. We all leaned forward to see him walk up the side of the table. "He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, i don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear." He winked.

    "I'd more worried about Professor Snape sending Lockhart to the hospital for the rest of the year." I chuckled quietly to Harry and he snickered. Ron chuckled lowly next to us and Hermione smacked my arm. I scowled at her and rubbed my arm.

The two teachers walked to the middle of the table and raised their wands to their faces and quickly put them back down to their sides. They bowed and then walked away from each other about five large steps. When they turned they were facing each other and standing in their dueling poses.

    "1, 2... 3!" Gilderoy smirked. He was about to wave his wand, but Snape was much faster.

    "Expelliarmus!"

A beam of light swooped out from his wand and hit Lockhart in the chest, sending him hurtling backwards onto the floor. A lot of the students laughed, including Ron, Harry and I. Hermione cringed.

    "Do you think he's alright?" She asked concerned.

    "Who cares?" Ron snickered.

Lockhart slowly got up from the table, off his back.

    "Excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious, uh, what you were about to do. And if I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy." He chuckled nervously.

    "Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students how to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape replied in his normal monotone voice. He seemed slightly amused but the whole thing.

    "An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape!" Lockhart exclaimed after a moment. "Uh... Well, let's have a volunteer pair! Uh, Potter, Harry, Weasley, Ron, how about you?" Lockhart called upon the boys who looked really excited. Harry quickly made his way by us up to the table. Before Ron could even move, Professor Snape spoke.

    "Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a match box. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?"

Snape quickly turned around and pointed at Malfoy and gestured for him to get up on the table. He looked much to smug for my liking. Professor Lockhart looked uneasy as he walked back towards out side of the table.